Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As stated above, my 1968 Corvette turn signals won't stay on unless I hold the lever. In other words, if I am turning left I must hold the turn signal lever down, and if I am turning right I must hold the lever up. The turn signal lever will not lock in either the left, or the right turn position. Also, I have a telescopic steering column.

Before I tear into the steering column, and knowing that the 1968 turn signal switch and canceling cam are different for the 1968 Corvette, especially with a telescoping column, I thought I would ask if anyone has had this problem before? Is it the switch? The canceling cam?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
As stated above, my 1968 Corvette turn signals won't stay on unless I hold the lever. In other words, if I am turning left I must hold the turn signal lever down, and if I am turning right I must hold the lever up. The turn signal lever will not lock in either the left, or the right turn position. Also, I have a telescopic steering column.

Before I tear into the steering column, and knowing that the 1968 turn signal switch and canceling cam are different for the 1968 Corvette, especially with a telescoping column, I thought I would ask if anyone has had this problem before? Is it the switch? The canceling cam?

Thank you for your help.
I would bet it's the switch that has worn out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks toobroketoretire (me too btw) for the response. I am afraid you are probably right as it always seems to be in cancel mode... blinkers work fine just wont lock in position. After I tear it down I'll post.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Thanks toobroketoretire (me too btw) for the response. I am afraid you are probably right as it always seems to be in cancel mode... blinkers work fine just wont lock in position. After I tear it down I'll post.
As the turn signal switches are mostly made from plastic they wear out. I recommend buying a Standard Motor Products switch as they are the very best quality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I am finding is these interchange numbers 5698520, and D2662 (made in China I'm sure). As usual with 1968 it is a one year (actually 1967 as well) item. I went Standard Motor Products and it looks like they no longer make it. Supply and demand. Just have to buy the above.
Thanks for your help toobroke.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One seller on eBay said they used two different switches for that year, a red one- 5998520 made by Boyne, and a white one- D6226 which is a Delco product. The bolt patterns are supposed to be different, so I'll probably have to open it up first. I hope this is not true as I am only finding these numbers as interchange numbers, and the Boyne switch is common now.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
One seller on eBay said they used two different switches for that year, a red one- 5998520 made by Boyne, and a white one- D6226 which is a Delco product. The bolt patterns are supposed to be different, so I'll probably have to open it up first. I hope this is not true as I am only finding these numbers as interchange numbers, and the Boyne switch is common now.
Thanks
Does this switch look like yours? 67-68 Corvette Turn Signal Switch NEW 2121 | eBay
I googled "1968 Chevrolet Corvette Turn Signal Switches E-Bay" and found several of them but I don't know if they're the correct ones. You'll have to remove your switch and compare it to the pictures shown in the listings..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to tear it apart tomorrow. I've never seen a car with so many electrical problems. I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that was the switch. The ears (actuators, I guess you would call them) are both broken off. Just have to wait for the part. Meantime my only horn started to work intermittently. Had a small car horn laying around, and it sounds wimpy now. Guess I'll find some new horns as well. I have the feeling this car sat around for some time- or maybe its just 52 years old. Fun.
Thanks Toobroke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts