Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you took delivery of your Corvette at the museum? Do they charge additional for this? I've seen people talk about this but have not seen what the main reasons are for taking a museum delivery?

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
The cost for the museum delivery is $490.00 and should be ordered through your dealer at the time of placing your Corvette order. It is option code R8C. One benefit is the fact that you will become one of a select few that has had their vehicle displayed at the National Corvette Museum. The other and probably bigger benefit is that the PDI that is done by the folks at the museum far surpasses what a dealer would normally do. They will spend as little or as much time as you need going over all the facts about your new Corvette.

IMHO, an important benefit that gets overlooked is the benefit to the museum. Which I believe is a very worthwhile cause. A site dedicated to the preservation of the heritage of the greatest american sportscar. The build of your car would be approximately 2 weeks prior to the museum delivery. There will be a mandatory two week hold placed on your car after it is built. This is specific to museum delivered vehicles and does not affect all cars.

Start here and read a little about the experience:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/ncm_delivery/index.shtml

In anticipation of the next question, you will still pay the destination charge. Since GM still owns the car at that point the cars are transported to the museum from the assembly plant on the same Allied carriers that take them to dealers. There is still insurance and handling associated with a museum delivery car.

The destination charge is an average "flat rate" that was negotiated for delivery of every Corvette whether it is being delivered 1 mile or 1,000 miles from the assembly plant. This prevents the California car from being gouged on delivery pricing.

Allied takes possession of the vehicle once it is released for shipment from the assembly line. They are a bonded carrier that is responsible for insuring the car until it reaches its destination. They still need to load it on a truck. Tie it down and transport it to the museum. Once there they unload it and sign it over to the museum personnel.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
They also offer another program. You can take a special tour of the plant. You may even be able to see your car being built, but that is not guaranteed. Here is the site page.
https://store.corvettemuseum.com/services/buyertour.asp

:goodpost: As well as yet another program where you can have the actual build of your car documented and printed in a photo album called the buyers photo album. You can read the details of this program here:

https://store.corvettemuseum.com/services/photoalbum.asp

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Been there, done that, well worth the price for the experience; IMHO.

The factory tour was great and the anticipation was nerve wracking but when I walked into the Atrium and saw MY Corvette on display, it took my breath away.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've seen people talk about this but have not seen what the main reasons are for taking a museum delivery?
I would say the main reason is an experience you will never forget. The NCM really rolls out the red carpet and makes you feel like a rock star. I made the trip there and back with my dad and we still relish the experience. I had a minor paint issue with my car and they were able to take it back over to the plant and fix it in very short order, not something your going to get fixed the same way at your local dealership. If you want the ultimate Corvette experience R8C is it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My wife and I considered doing this with the Z, but we couldn't get the time off together from work, so it was negated.
After reading this thread, I really wish we would have waited until we could have done this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts