Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to check the tolerance on the main and rod bearings while it was apart and I'm glad I did. The 2nd to last main cap bearing didnt even touch the plastigage. I checked it twice just to make sure. So I already bought a new crank, bearings, got the cam, headers and everything else lined up. I am just waiting til Wednesday to start putting her back together. I can't wait to her it run again. It's going to be a long week...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Plastigage will give you a fair idea of what's going on, but for an accurate rebuild you need to use an inside and outside micrometer. There are too many variables with plastigage.

Be sure and replace the oil pump and pickup while you're in there- make it all new.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
serious , plastigage if for a quick check at best

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Plastigage

Plastigage will give you a fair idea of what's going on, but for an accurate rebuild you need to use an inside and outside micrometer. There are too many variables with plastigage.

Be sure and replace the oil pump and pickup while you're in there- make it all new.

I have used Plastigage for 45 years and never seen any problem with it. It must be used completely dry (no oil on it) and you must not turn the crank at all. They make Plastigage in 6 different thicknesses for measuring bearing clearances up to .070". What's really nice about using Plastigage is it gives you a direct readout instead of comparing the readings between an inside and outside micrometer. And it will also show if the main journal or rod throw has a taper on it or is barrel shaped.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
and tack weld that pick-up tube to pump... I replaced one recently on a relatives Vette.. the pick-up fell off in the pan.. He couldn t figure out why his oil pressure would suddenly drop everytime he hit the brakes hard..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the plastigage a few times so far and my dad has always used it and never had any problems. I didnt have a micrometer sitting around either. I forgot to mention that I did buy an oil pump as well and I have a welder so I will tack weld that pick up on there as well. Thanks for all the replies hopefully it will help pass some time and make Wednesday get here quicker. Also I remember reading on here somewhere that the RPM air gap doesnt fit under the stock hood but will the regular RPM with a quadrajet fit?

thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't bought one yet but just looking to get a bit more power out of her. I might have to get rid of the 14" air cleaner and get something else then

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, I hve anothr question as well. I bought ceramic coated headers and have heard that even with coated headers they will still burn up plugwires. Should I still put header wrap on them?

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
depends on the headers..and straight or angle plug heads? how close to the wire will it be? if there s a 1/2 inch or so ,a hi-temp wire set will be OK.... be a shame to wrap a nice set of ceramic coated headers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It s a straight plug, I hvent measured the distance yet but my dad talked to a guy that races and he said they ran ceramic coated headers and still burnt up plug wires and went thru alot of them last year. I know they werent racing a vette I just want to make sure I dont have to change plug wires all the time and it would be easier to wrap them now while they are out of the car...also i agree it would definitely be a shame to hide them under header wrap.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
its always a good idea to test fit new headers to the engine prior to dropping engine into frame.. sometimes theres a bolt that will be hard to start..its easier to make an adjustment on a bolt hole, off the car.. you can check clearance while they are bolted,and decide if there s enough space,[1/2inch is enough ] and whether to wrap.. also the exhaust on their race car is probably much hotter than yours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I test fit the headers already but I didn't try any bolts yet or the plug. I figured there car would get hotter as well since I defintely won't be running it as hard as their car either. Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
use Taylor wires
never burnt one up yet unless there was an install error

·
Registered
879 Posts
I haven't bought one yet but just looking to get a bit more power out of her. I might have to get rid of the 14" air cleaner and get something else then
I am running the RPM which was not supposed to fit either. However, I know my clearance is very close and the air-gap is a bit taller. Let us know what you decide and the outcome.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I test fit the headers already but I didn't try any bolts yet or the plug. I figured there car would get hotter as well since I defintely won't be running it as hard as their car either. Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it.
I put a wiring system on mine, not only does it look good but keeps the plug wires far enough from the headers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts