Chevy Corvette Forum banner

MGW shifter install question

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  RicersRfodder 
#1 ·
I'm installing the shifter today on my 08 c6 and ran across a part that isn't specified in the directions, it's in a bag labeled 2008 shift boot insert. Anyone done this install and know where this piece goes? Any help would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Yeah I actually figured out yesterday that this piece fits perfectly inside of that metal collar. However, then the collar doesn't fit up around the shift knob. I'm not sure what the point of that thing even is, I just left it off.

The shifter is awesome, that's for sure. Makes driving the car even more fun if that's possible.

#8 ·
#7 ·
I have mixed feelings about it. Its a lot shorter throw, which I like, but the effort is higher especially when cold so when stuck in traffic it is not beneficial. I think if I were to do it again, I'd first try one of the weighted knobs that shortens the height or simply try cutting a 1/2" or so off the stock shifter.

I think with T56 on the 05-07s, its a no brainer. The 08 is buttery smooth stock and the MGW takes some of that away.

#9 ·
Ricers how did the install go. I ordered mine last week and should be here sometime this week and will be installing mine this week end. Any tricks you found helpful during the install that might help knowing. How long did it take to finish the job. Thanks in advanced to any tips you can give.

#11 ·
The install took me about two and a half hours from start to finish including messing around trying to decide what to do with the aforementioned rubber piece. No part of the install process is hard, however I found removing all of the trim to get at the shifter to be the lengthiest portion. I just took my time removing everything to make sure I didn't break any clips or something dumb like that. The directions on the CD are pretty good, I just had my laptop out with me and followed them along.

It says trimming the rubber isolation boot cover is optional, but I think you should do it and I'm not sure how you would even get it to fit correctly without trimming it. So just plan on trimming that up a bit so you don't have too much rubber rubbing against rubber.

Overall I would say it was a pretty easy install, let me know if you have any questions maybe I can help.

#12 ·
well tore the center counsel apart took the stock shifter out. That all went good with no problems at all. I couldnt get the 12v plug diconnected so I just set the center counsel on the passanger seat. Its all ready for the new MGW shifter to go in just waiting to receive it this week. Real easy to take the old one out so I dont see any problems getting the new one in and putting it back together. How do you like ur MGW compared to the stock.

#13 ·
I like mine a lot, I really didn't think the stock shifter was all that smooth although I guess others thought that so maybe its just me. I really like how short the throw is. I have had a lot more fun driving mine since the install.

The 12V was a little tricky and thinking back I cant remember the trick to that connector, but no big deal really won't affect the install at all. I think its one of the ones you have to just press in on the little fin sticking out of the middle, but I honestly cant remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.