Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching online to try and find a master rebuild kit for my L48 Engine Block that came with my '77. I have tried Jegs.com and summitracing.com and the closest I have found was for a bored .30 over engine, I dont have to rebore the engine I just need the internal workings of it.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I have been searching online to try and find a master rebuild kit for my L48 Engine Block that came with my '77. I have tried Jegs.com and summitracing.com and the closest I have found was for a bored .30 over engine, I dont have to rebore the engine I just need the internal workings of it.
\

What is it you're wanting to do? Rings and bearings? Just spruce it up a little? I'm assuming you have miked your cylinders and crankshaft and determined they're reusable as is? How many miles does your engine have on it? If it has over 100,000 miles it most likely needs to be bored, the crank turned, rods reconditioned, new camshaft, and heads rebuilt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
\

What is it you're wanting to do? Rings and bearings? Just spruce it up a little? I'm assuming you have miked your cylinders and crankshaft and determined they're reusable as is? How many miles does your engine have on it? If it has over 100,000 miles it most likely needs to be bored, the crank turned, rods reconditioned, new camshaft, and heads rebuilt.
The Short block that was in while the guy that I bought it from was going to rebuild it had something come out of the oil pan and blew the motor, the L48 block only has about 40,000 miles on it, the cylinder walls are fine, but from sitting so long the pistons are corroded, I messed up 3 of the push rods removing them from the engine,

I want a new crank as well, Crank, pistons, pushrods. Cyl heads are good, they just need a little cleaning up. Im unsure about the timing set, Harmonic balancer is not good either but I cant tell till I get the other motor out. but its extremely loose and shakes back and forth with just pressure from my hand.

Pretty much going for all internal workings brand new, I also plan to spruce up the motor a little bit, trying to get about 350hp outta the L48, I have a brand new Edelbrock 600cfm carb and Intake that I bought right before the motor shot craps on me.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
check with Jegs or Summit. they have complete rotating assemblies [ crank,connecting rods. pistons.] sold as kits. are you sure the block is still good. I would have it checked for cracks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts