Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a shake down cruise (20 miles). Nothing wild as I am still breaking in the new motor. Parked it and found a few drops of fluid, appears to have come from master cyl. While wiping it, I noticed the MC is hot. It and the brakes have 800 miles on them. Never had this before, only recent change is new wheel bearings and a chrome MC cover. No hot smells or brake failure probs. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
everything under the hood is gonna heat up while running..M/C is right over header.. feel the rotors/calipers on each wheel, if you can keep your hand on them, I wouldn t be concerned.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was barely able to keep my hand on the MC but I will try the caliper, thanks. Have you ever seen fluid leak out of the MC without there being a problem of some sort?

·
Registered
474 Posts
It shouldn't leak unless it was over full. Abnormal heat may be caused by a brake caliper not realeasing, and I guess that could raise the fluid temp in the master if the fluid transfered heat that far.
Take it for a drive and compare the temp at each caliper with a heat gun.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It shouldn't leak unless it was over full. Abnormal heat may be caused by a brake caliper not realeasing, and I guess that could raise the fluid temp in the master if the fluid transfered heat that far.
Take it for a drive and compare the temp at each caliper with a heat gun.
Thats a good idea, I knew I bought one of those infrared guns for a reason, thanks!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I refilled the MC and rotated the cap (just for kicks) and took it for a short drive yesterday. Tried to lay on the brakes a little extra, esp near the end, and all cylinders showed same heat reading. MC was not as hot so I figure it was simply header/underhood heat the previous day as well as a coincidental minor leak at the MC.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Just came back from a shake down cruise (20 miles). Nothing wild as I am still breaking in the new motor. Parked it and found a few drops of fluid, appears to have come from master cyl. While wiping it, I noticed the MC is hot. It and the brakes have 800 miles on them. Never had this before, only recent change is new wheel bearings and a chrome MC cover. No hot smells or brake failure probs. Thoughts?

As the master cylinder is made out of cast iron it'll retain more heat. As the master cylinder doesn't generate any heat the heat obviously came from somewhere else. And that somewhere else is most likely the manifolds/hedders.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I refilled the MC and rotated the cap (just for kicks) and took it for a short drive yesterday. Tried to lay on the brakes a little extra, esp near the end, and all cylinders showed same heat reading. MC was not as hot so I figure it was simply header/underhood heat the previous day as well as a coincidental minor leak at the MC.
buster, have you run out of things that need fixing?You worked hard on it.. Relax, Dude, drive and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
With the exception of heat absorption from surrounding parts.... there is nothing that would cause the M/C to heat up. ( Like a caliper hanging up) :patriot:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, wife and I are going to breakfast and for a drive today. Before the rain comes, we will get some of that enjoyment! Thanks for all the help folks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts