Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 96 lt4,it just will not start sometimes..ive scanned it,,no codes..i finally took mass airflow out and cleaned sensor bulb with cleaner..it started right up.now its doing it again,checked maf,and its got oily residue on it again.whats causing this?car only has 75000 mi,uses no oil what so ever..any suggestions??

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Its a 96 lt4,it just will not start sometimes..ive scanned it,,no codes..i finally took mass airflow out and cleaned sensor bulb with cleaner..it started right up.now its doing it again,checked maf,and its got oily residue on it again.whats causing this?car only has 75000 mi,uses no oil what so ever..any suggestions??

Every time you shut a hot engine off a certain amount of oil and gas fumes will enter the intake system. I'm wondering if you might have a injector or two that is leaking off after you shut the engine down. Does it run smoothly when you re-start it? If it misses some you may just have leaking injectors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every time you shut a hot engine off a certain amount of oil and gas fumes will enter the intake system. I'm wondering if you might have a injector or two that is leaking off after you shut the engine down. Does it run smoothly when you re-start it? If it misses some you may just have leaking injectors.
Ya,it doesnt as smooth as iy should..it starts missing really bad when I turn on the a/c,,im pretty sure this car has never had anything done except regular services..

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Ya,it doesnt as smooth as iy should..it starts missing really bad when I turn on the a/c,,im pretty sure this car has never had anything done except regular services..

Turning on the A/C shouldn't make any difference as your computer should compensate for the increased load. You may have a bad spark plug wire. Are the wires the original wires? How many miles on them? And how about the spark plugs? Originals? You can check your wires with an inexpensive ohm meter by measuring it's resistance from one end to the other. They should all have around 25,000 ohms resistance (plus or minus about 5,000). If any of them read 0 then it's core is burned out (usually near the spark plug as it's so hot down there).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Turning on the A/C shouldn't make any difference as your computer should compensate for the increased load. You may have a bad spark plug wire. Are the wires the original wires? How many miles on them? And how about the spark plugs? Originals? You can check your wires with an inexpensive ohm meter by measuring it's resistance from one end to the other. They should all have around 25,000 ohms resistance (plus or minus about 5,000). If any of them read 0 then it's core is burned out (usually near the spark plug as it's so hot down there).
TBTR::tool:
IF ANY OF THE WIRES READS ZERO OHMS, THE RESISTANCE BUILT INTO THE WIRES HAS FAILED. A SOLID CORE (METALLIC) CONDUCTOR WIRE WILL HAVE ZERO OHMS, NO RESISTANCE.

IF"it's core is burned out (usually near the spark plug as it's so hot down there)", THEN THE OHMMETER WILL READ INFINITY. THAT MEANS AN INFINITE NUMBER OF OHMS RESISTANCE, NO CONDUCTIVITY IN THAT WIRE AT ALL. DUH!

RACE ON!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts