Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of the Corvette is actually manufactured and assembled in the USA? Would you say 75% of the car, 80% of the car consist of parts made in USA?

Just one of those odd ball Monday, I don't want to work sort of questions! :rofl:

·
Smokin Member
1,825 Posts
I believe brakes are Australian, not sure if anything else is imported
Are they really? Other than Fosters beer :smilielol5: wasn't aware of anything being produced down there.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
ASSEMBLED AT BOWLING GREEN KENTUCKY.
Some parts are done in MEXICO,others in CANADA and wherever else the general can save a buck.:toocrazy:

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Are they really? Other than Fosters beer :smilielol5: wasn't aware of anything being produced down there.
Shrimp on the BarB

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
The Corvette is American, the economy is global. As such, the Corvette is assembled in America with parts sourced from GM and supplier plants based from around the globe. The transmission is made in Mexico, the brakes are made in Australia, the engines (LS3, non dry sump) are made in Canada. The wheels are made in China, Taiwan and Italy. The interior parts are made in America as well as in Germany. The body panels are made in America in OhioThe glass is made in America, the Z06 aluminum frames are made in Kentucky...and so on, and so on.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Corvette is American, the economy is global. As such, the Corvette is assembled in America with parts sourced from GM and supplier plants based from around the globe. The transmission is made in Mexico, the brakes are made in Australia, the engines (LS3, non dry sump) are made in Canada. The wheels are made in China, Taiwan and Italy. The interior parts are made in America as well as in Germany. The body panels are made in America in OhioThe glass is made in America, the Z06 aluminum frames are made in Kentucky...and so on, and so on.
Good information, didn't realize how many parts were made in so many other locations. But that makes sense though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No kidding the car would be so much more in cost easily.
I would rather pay a little more...keep the work here and put more UAW auto workers back to work along with the parts suppliers. All the money spent here and a better economy because of it. Who in the hell wants a Corvette with a Chinese speaker in it or a Mexican transmission.

When will we ever learn...I guess when we are all out of work because of out sourced jobs.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would rather pay a little more...keep the work here and put more UAW auto workers back to work along with the parts suppliers. All the money spent here and a better economy because of it. Who in the hell wants a Corvette with a Chinese speaker in it or a Mexican transmission.

When will we ever learn...I guess when we are all out of work because of out sourced jobs.
It is a self perpetuating downward spiral. We, as consumers, have condoned the practice of outsourcing by purchasing outsourced products. I believe that we are now beyond the point of no return.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Agent
2,233 Posts

I couldn't agree with you any more. However, we all have ourselves to blame. We all say this but we don't purchase based on it. Everyone wants a deal, everyone wants to pay the least possible for a product and given similar claims, everyone seems to pick the lower priced product with little regard for where it was made.

We as a nation have what I call the "gallon of milk" mentality. No one is willing to pay more money for a gallon of milk today over yesterday. The problem is the cost to manufacture that gallon of milk like all goods and services goes up every single year. Workers demand better computers, raises, more sick time, additional benefits. The cost of electricity and utilities increase every year. The manufacturer is being crushed between the rising cost of manufacturing and outcry from consumers against rising prices. If we as a nation stop behaving in this manor and speak as freely with our wallets as we do with our mouths perhaps companies will stop trying to outsource labor, goods and services. We contradict ourselves constantly in this regard and to some extent, drive our manufacturers to this point of no return.

Granted, corporate greed plays a role as well because investors demand a short term return on their investments and when investors who have no interest in the long term success of the company other than greater returns on their investment speak with their power position and force companies in to the same mess.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good post talon90... and yes Pappytinker the American public has rolled over and died. I wonder how they expected to survive, job wise, purchasing foreign made products. How you gonna buy a Corvette working at a big box store or flipping burgers at McDonald's. In fact now if you don't speak Spanish you probably can't work at McMexico.

·
Registered
3 Posts

My C6 only had 4 parts break. 4 Hvac actuators. All 4 say made in China. I paid an American mechanic now working in Canada to fix it so I feel redeemed now. LOL.

I try my hardest to buy USA/Canadian but it gets harder every day.

B

1 - 20 of 29 Posts