Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help SVG gang!! Have a strange noise coming from the rocker/valve train area over the # 2 cylinder. Using a stethoscope on top of the valve cover bolt closest to this cylinder one can hear a noise that sounds like two metal object coming together with little or no lubrication. Oil pressure is good. When started cold there is some lite lifter clatter (same general area) that stops as engine warms. The other sound remains constant. Car runs fine, no rough idle and shows no codes. Thks for any help, advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sounds like the clearance between the lifter and pushrod is off adjustment. Could be a bad lifter, rocker arm stud becoming loose, or some other problem. Suggest that you have it checked out by a professional shop. If what is making the noise causes a valve to drop repairs will be VERY expensive. On other V8s I have had a rocker arm stud pull out of the head and a valve keeper come off, not fun!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Right, but it can back off if it was never torqued properly. Also, many things can happen in the valve train to cause noise and if not addressed extensive damage. As an example I bought a new 79 L82 vette and within 1500 miles a valve started making a horrible noise. Since it was under warrenty I took it to the dealer and it turned out that the valve stem had not been case hardened at the factory and the rocker arm had hammered the end of the stem into a mushroom. I also once had a 63 stingray where a rocker arm stud pulled out because it was the pressed in type...........
Anyway, I see, as evidenced by your profile and new posts that you are still acting like an exsquirt, and that you have contempt for other posters, which is not appropriate:watching:

About vetteoz

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
that you have contempt for other posters, which is not appropriate:
All directed at you personally being the only person in over ten years online that has ever questioned my ability to correctly answer questions

2/27/11
Do you have a corvette? I see no pictures
despite my having over 15,000 posts across 5 US C4 Forums as well as 3rd Gen as well as several international C4 Forums

Obviously having the ability to upload a pic gives a certain credibility in your eyes? :wtf:

Had plenty of heated debates , arguments and differences of opinion but not the cr*p I have had from you because I disagree with your " opinion"

Anybody can do a cut and paste or tow the company line like you do and say "follow the service manual " , don't do that , because the GM didn't do it"

With that sort of attitude there would be no history of Hot Rodding because by your ideas ,nobody would do any mods and everybody would have bog standard cars

Todd summed the current state of SV up nicely here http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showpost.php?p=587921&postcount=8

Too many people with no mechanical / elec knowledge who throw up random theories or someone who owns ONE C4 and thinks all others are exactly the same

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Most of your posts are snide swipes at other posters and contribute little. On this thread your post is a perfect example and look at your post on metric threads. You start off with another snide remark to insult the posters lack of knowledge. As far as I go personally, I have 45 years of Corvette experience which is almost 4 times more than your 12 years. Therefore, there is not much that I have not seen before or had personal experience with. I personally keep my sports cars bone stock which I have found pays off in the long run, I have owned many big healeys, 190sl's, 356's, and xke's in addition to vettes through the years all of which turned into collectors cars and sold for much more than I paid for them because I kept them in stock excellent condition.

Just tone down your snide attacks on other posters and you will get along fine with me.

Your profile shows your attitude which is just plain wrong:

"About vetteoz

We are not dickheads, but I wonder what you are........

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you would all speak like the person you're addressing was standing right in front of you we'd all be better off. Somehow I think we'd all be a little more polite...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Most of your posts are snide swipes at other posters and contribute little. .
That would be why I get 3 or 4 PM 's / emails a week from people ( except on this Forum ) thanking me for helping them out with their problems that others can't solve

I have 45 years of Corvette experience which is almost 4 times more than your 12 years.
Time frame I listed was online experience ; not car ownership /mechanical experience

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you would all speak like the person you're addressing was standing right in front of you we'd all be better off. Somehow I think we'd all be a little more polite...
Agreed. Keyboard commandos are hilarious (NOT).

There are FEW on here that have personal issues with each that blow up threads with their jabs. Sorting through the $h1t is a pain at times. Seems like they'd be better off PM'ing each other if they aren't "adding" a good answer to the OP's question.

Just my opinion...fire away if you feel offended and feel you must. I have thick skin and I'm an adult. I can handle it. I expect this kind of drama from high school kids...not adults.

AND - IF everyone would just remember that these are TYPED words....sometimes words are "read" in a HARSH manner, unnecessarily. Lot's of people with differing opinions, just state your case or your real life experiences. a lot of the "arguments" that i have seen on here were petty in nature and left me wondering "WTF was that about?"

Anyways, bigger issues in today's world vs. metric or SAE or pressed in studs...etc, etc....or the RENEGADE.

I've gotten good help from several posters on here and have genuinely appreciated it when they have pointed me into the right direction. vetteoz, CFI-EFI and toobroketoretire being at the top of that list...ironic...isn't it?

Nothing too bad to cause me to "leave" (yet), so I'll lurk, read and ask questions when I'm in a tough spot. And filter through the [email protected]$$ responses/snide remarks when needed.

In my best Rodney King voice "Can't we all just get along?"

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
gwb16 said:
I've gotten good help from several posters on here and have genuinely appreciated it when they have pointed me into the right direction.
When I first started as a newbie posting on the Forums over ten years ago , I was relentlessly pursued by CFI-EFI.
Like a lawyer looking for a loop hole he would question everything I said , find unintended double meanings in my postings and correct any inaccuracies.
His " tactfull " reputation with less qualified posters is still well known on Forums he no longer visits but he has mellowed some in his old age.

:1sm258fight:

I did not feel provoked"

It made me a better poster because it taught me to
1.Read the question
Too many people read one key word and launch off into a topic completely unrelated to the problem.

2.Read and evaluate the info presented.
Just because you "own" a C4 may not make you qualified to answer the particular question .
One size does not fit all
For starters ,there a four different engines , seven different computers and five different ways for coolant fan control across the 12 years of production.
There are systems that are consistent across all years and some that changed on a almost year to year basis as well as one off years like '85

3.Read all the posts
Many come in a week late , only read the OP and post up when a solution has already been found

4.If you are presenting your own personal "opinion" say so.Don't present it as a gospel fact.

If like Slicktop you want to keep your car stock for resale value and do everything "by the book" so be it;
just don't make out the factory way is the "only way " of going about things
There are thousands of happy C4 owners out there with mods that would not be approved by GM

FWIW.
Posting " I hope you get it fixed" does nothing.
The guy who's car is stuck in the Walmart car park wants a solution ; not condolences.
If he wanted support he would have rung AA

·
Registered
836 Posts
lt1 valve train noise

When I first started as a newbie posting on the Forums over ten years ago , I was relentlessly pursued by CFI-EFI.
Like a lawyer looking for a loop hole he would question everything I said , find unintended double meanings in my postings and correct any inaccuracies.
His " tactfull " reputation with less qualified posters is still well known on Forums he no longer visits but he has mellowed some in his old age.

I did not feel provoked"

1.Read the question
Too many people read one key word and launch off into a topic completely unrelated to the problem.

Just because you "own" a C4 may not make you qualified to answer the particular question .
For starters ,there a four different engines , seven different computers and five different ways for coolant fan control across the 12 years of production.
There are systems that are consistent across all years and some that changed on a almost year to year basis as well as one off years like '85

3.Read all the posts
Many come in a week late , only read the OP and post up when a solution has already been found

4.If you are presenting your own personal "opinion" say so.Don't present it as a gospel fact.

If like Slicktop you want to keep your car stock for resale value and do everything "by the book" so be it;
There are thousands of happy C4 owners out there with mods that would not be approved by GM

FWIW.
The guy who's car is stuck in the Walmart car park wants a solution ; not condolences.
There is alot of :duel: that goes on I :iagree::iagree:

·
Registered
861 Posts

I did not feel provoked"

1.Read the question

3.Read all the posts

FWIW.
^^^^
And this is why I ALWAYS READ your posts carefully. The links you provide are great. The recommendations you make are easy for me to understand. I've never been afraid of turning wrenches and have the battle scars to prove it...which is probably why I understand your posts easily. CFI-EFI put me DEAD ON an issue that I had with my car very shortly after I bought it. So I like reading about his experiences as well. There are several posters on here that add quality posts and some that don't add so much. Filtering through the mundane $h1t is all part of the message board game. Same type of stuff happened on a Mustang forum that I was a member of before I bought my Vette and started lurking over here. Some peoples delivery is better than others, some people have thicker skin than others...bottom line, we all have a common interest and differing opinions on how to attack a certain job. FWIW - I don't have a beef with anyone on here....anymore...the "LIAR" has left, thankfully and hopefully sold his 87 to someone with more sensible and reasonable expectations. There's not a cookie cutter answer for any one particular problem...hell we have people that argue over whats the best wax or oil or tires :catfight:....opinions. :1sm258fight:
I for one HOPE that you continue to provide insight...I don't like "your location", you're lumping EVERYONE into the same pile, unfairly...IMHO!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Not to get off subject.... but how goes the ticking valve Anthony?:seeya:
Thanks Mat...we kind of hijacked the OP's thread...my apologies Anthony.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey SV gang, don't have anything good or bad to report, as to the strange sound coming from the engine. Two different techs have looked and listen too the sound, and neither would say for sure that the noise was from a lifter! We have pulled plug wires, injectors, and have even removed the serpentine belt to try and pin point the source. All to know avail.. As in my earlier post the car is running great (no codes) except for this strange and unidentfied noise. Will continue to drive and hope the problem will reveal its self. Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to respond to my problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts