Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Hope all are safe. Strange problem just started. The engine will not start. I tested the spark plug by putting spark plug in spark plug wire, grounding the metal of spark plug to engine. Very low spark, sometimes no spark. I installed a new coil and ignition control module, cap and rotor but same thing. I tested the positive wire to the distributor with multimeter and got 12 volts and when the engine is cranking 9 volts.What else could it be? Does the distributer need to be replaced? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Hello All,

Hope all are safe. Strange problem just started. The engine will not start. I tested the spark plug by putting spark plug in spark plug wire, grounding the metal of spark plug to engine. Very low spark, sometimes no spark. I installed a new coil and ignition control module, cap and rotor but same thing. I tested the positive wire to the distributor with multimeter and got 12 volts and when the engine is cranking 9 volts.What else could it be? Does the distributor need to be replaced? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What year is your C3? If it's an earlier C3 that has been updated with an HEI it's possible the 10 gauge feed wire isn't making a good connection at the fuse block. Rather than viewing the spark at a spark plug I suggest fastening a stiff wire to your carburetor's air cleaner stud and with the other end about 1" from the #1 terminal on the cap (with the spark plug wire removed). An HEI should be able to throw a spark up to 1-1/4". Do this under low light/no light conditions so you can see the spark better. I also suggest checking the carbon button in the center of the cap for damage as I have seen them break for no apparent reason. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

Hope all are safe. Strange problem just started. The engine will not start. I tested the spark plug by putting spark plug in spark plug wire, grounding the metal of spark plug to engine. Very low spark, sometimes no spark. I installed a new coil and ignition control module, cap and rotor but same thing. I tested the positive wire to the distributor with multimeter and got 12 volts and when the engine is cranking 9 volts.What else could it be? Does the distributer need to be replaced? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sometimes its just a simple problem. Recently I had the rear view mirror fall off. So in process of glueing it back three people had problem getting it to glue back. Then my car was not starting with out a boost. I started checking and finally noticed the reading light are was not working .I removed the fuse. And wow. My car is starting and running great. Now to mechanic to fix the problem ,its in the wiring on the reading light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did a competition head build, cam , lifters and headers on my 77 small block. We even rebuilt the HEI distributer. Long story shore I ended up getting a new Accel HEI distributer off the shelf from AutoZone due to the same issue and it fixed the problem. There is a ton of trouble shooting you can do but if you have the means, buy a new distributer and do a solid tuneup and see if that works.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I just did a competition head build, cam , lifters and headers on my 77 small block. We even rebuilt the HEI distributer. Long story shore I ended up getting a new Accel HEI distributer off the shelf from AutoZone due to the same issue and it fixed the problem. There is a ton of trouble shooting you can do but if you have the means, buy a new distributer and do a solid tuneup and see if that works.
How much did your new Accel HEI cost you? And do they stock tach drive HEI's for the earlier C3's?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok found the issue. Did all posted and still would not start. Got a new distributer and still nothing. I took carb cleaner and put a 1 sec spray into #2 chamber and its wanted to start. Then pumped the gas pedal 8 times and it almost started. Think the fuel pump is not pumping enough pressure to the carb. When I look down the carb the jet spray is not strong and the more you pump the weaker the spray gets until almost nothing. Why do you think?

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Ok found the issue. Did all posted and still would not start. Got a new distributer and still nothing. I took carb cleaner and put a 1 sec spray into #2 chamber and its wanted to start. Then pumped the gas pedal 8 times and it almost started. Think the fuel pump is not pumping enough pressure to the carb. When I look down the carb the jet spray is not strong and the more you pump the weaker the spray gets until almost nothing. Why do you think?
Rodney, check the pleated paper fuel filter in the carburetor first and then while the fuel line is disconnected shove a short 5/16" hose onto the end with the other end in a coffee can or something similar. The fuel pump should deliver a minimum of 1-1/2 pints in 30 seconds of cranking..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts