Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yokohama YK 520 this is a 60000 mile tire cheap for what get out of them.

255/50-16.

I looked at other brands tires but for the money and the long mileage you get out of them I found best money for buck.

If you want all out High performance type tire.
I sure theres better out there but they are not going to get 60000 miles out of set.
You be lucky to get 35000 or less for more money.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
research, read, and learn

What are you blokes running on your 84 corvettes.
Your choices really depend on your driving habits. Do you use your car as a daily driver? Do you drive the car 25,000 miles a year, or 5-10,000 a year? Do you like speed, or do you like to relax and just cruise?
Tires are tested on a controlled track for a length of 7200 miles. The tread rating is set in multiples per 7200 miles. Example would be:
100 tread = 1X 7200
200 tread = 2X 7200
and so on.
The lower the tread rating, the more "sticky" you get to the surface. Full on competition tires and competition D.O.T. tires usually rate at 100 and lower.
Also, the lower tread ratings are NOT recommended for snow and ice.
If you drive a lot of miles, you should consider the 500-600 tread. Traction is still good and you get longer life out of them. However, when you are competing and seconds count, then you need to reconsider your choices.

tirerack.com is a good site to search. Lots of choices.
For price comparisons, check out tiresdirect.net. this site, however, doesn't seem to have the broad choices in brands as tire rack has.

Drive on!! :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can only drive it when it isn't raining so that is not very often. Te door rubbers leak.
Owning A vette is like having a wife, They allways need something... AND...
They both have monthly maintance... To keep them fit and looking good :15:
But it's all worth it, There both fun to ride too :driving:

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I can only drive it when it isn't raining so that is not very often. Te door rubbers leak.

Leaking "rubbers" can be a REAL big problem as so many guys have painfully found out. Best to take matters into your own hands (wink wink). Or have a sheep standing by. Does it rain real often where you live? I live in a very dry location but the last two years have been very wet years with rainfall being about double of what it normally is. And is it pretty windy in England most of the time? Being surrounded by water it seems like it would be. Glad to have you in our forum..........again (wink wink).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts