Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used a product called Liquid Glass for sealing up a head gasket leak?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Liquid glass

The only Liquid glass I have ever seen is a car polish that's been around since the 1960's....never seen one used to stop leakage

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
The only Liquid glass I have ever seen is a car polish that's been around since the 1960's....never seen one used to stop leakage
yep...

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Liquid Glass, or sodium silicate, is what we had to use to destroy perfectly good engines during the cash for clunkers program. We added it to the crank case after draining the oil and ran the engines until they seized. That's the only thing I have ever used it for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Has anyone ever used a product called Liquid Glass for sealing up a head gasket leak?
Yeppers,Us old timers have used it for years! You can get it at the pharmacy,costs about $20.00 a Qt.
Won't mix with anti-freeze,flush it with fresh water and run it with water and keep it topped off till it seals.Drive it at least 500-2000 miles to make sure it's sealed good and then drain it and go back to 50/50 coolant mix!:thumbsup:

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
We used to use BARRS LEAKS...

It was brown with pellets. Don't think it's around anymore. Supposedly lubed the water pump too.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
We used to use BARRS LEAKS...

It was brown with pellets. Don't think it's around anymore. Supposedly lubed the water pump too.

I just used some Barz Leak not too long ago. It doesn't have those little brown pellets in it anymore but it's the same stuff (the pellets are now pulverized and mixed into the liquid).

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Best way to stop a head gasket leak is to repair it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Best way to stop a head gasket leak is to repair it.
:iagree:

If you realy can't do it right away then bars-leak works...I used it for the radiator on my Fiero...just remembered about that...i better see if i need to get to work on that. That was several years ago.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If teh liquid glass works, and down teh road you have to have engine work done, what kind of mess are you going to have to deal with whan you disassemble the engine. Ithink you will have peace of mind if you jsut fix it properly.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
If teh liquid glass works, and down teh road you have to have engine work done, what kind of mess are you going to have to deal with whan you disassemble the engine. Ithink you will have peace of mind if you jsut fix it properly.
A lot.
I agree. Better to just fix it and be done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those 'pellets' are goat crap, I'm told it works good, I personally would never put it in a Corvette , I'd fix it or have it fixed right, unless it's a real 'beater' and you are gonna dump it. We have 5 'Tennessee Fainting Goats' so if anyone wants some high quality stuff I would be happy to send 'um some.

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
Those 'pellets' are goat crap, I'm told it works good, I personally would never put it in a Corvette , I'd fix it or have it fixed right, unless it's a real 'beater' and you are gonna dump it. We have 5 'Tennessee Fainting Goats' so if anyone wants some high quality stuff I would be happy to send 'um some.
Additives like this are NEVER a permanent fix. BTW, A "Corvette" is nothing more than a SBC, like you'll find in a truck. Know how many cars had LT'1s?

The only difference in many respects once they are put in a corvette they break more and are harder to work on...:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts