Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. The Doc says absolutely no gear shifting for at least 3-4 months. That really sucks.

So, I have tried shifting with my left hand with some success.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make it easier?

I have thought about making a new gear shift knob that turns 90 degrees to the left and about 6 inches long.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
You can shift with your left hand, but there is a really good chance you will be placing a lot of added undue stress on your shifter fork and synchros if you can't do it well. Give it a try and you'll know how dextrous you are at that.
That long shifter would be an ideal way to break transmission internals since it will give you massive leverage against the shifter fork. I wouldn't do it; if I were you I'd just take it easy until my shoulder recovered unless you can shift the regular shifter left handed smoothly.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I recently had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. The Doc says absolutely no gear shifting for at least 3-4 months. That really sucks.

So, I have tried shifting with my left hand with some success.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make it easier?

I have thought about making a new gear shift knob that turns 90 degrees to the left and about 6 inches long.
Find a good example of seat candy and have them shift for you. It will take a little practice but it can be done.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Find a good example of seat candy and have them shift for you. It will take a little practice but it can be done.
BEEN THERE , DONE THAT :food-smiley-019:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Growing up left handed, I naturally imagined shifting with the left had.
It was a bit of a disappointment as I grew up to learn American cars are shifted with the right (incorrect) hand.
Yes, sometimes it is a pain in the butt for us right minded people to adjust to a right handed world. If things had worked out years ago I would have moved to Australia and taken care of the problem with shifting with the wrong hand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After some city driving this weekend, I've decided to leave the gear shift alone and shift left handed. It works pretty good and I have been using the 1-4 shifting & leaving it in 4th gear around town.

Still not as easy as right handed, but I am not going to leave it sit in the garage.

The sacrifices we make to drive our passion.:patriot:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
use the force Luke !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts