Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to look up something in my owners manual that was in the glove box, and the latch just broke? :wtf:

I've done some searches and didn't come up with anything. I wasn't yanking or pulling on this hard, I opened it like any other time.

I'm not sure why I'm even typing all of thise, it is what it is. Guess I need to get down to dealer to order a new one. :doh:

Has anyone else had issues like this?

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
At least the fix is a straight forward one. There were a few months of production in late 2007 as I recall that made it out in to the field with defective latch handles. There was a molding defect in the handle itself and it will fail just from normal use. There isn't anything that you could have done differently to prevent it.

You aren't the only one that this has happened to.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least the fix is a straight forward one. There were a few months of production in late 2007 as I recall that made it out in to the field with defective latch handles. There was a molding defect in the handle itself and it will fail just from normal use. There isn't anything that you could have done differently to prevent it.

You aren't the only one that this has happened to.
Well that answers the "why" question. Pleased to know I'm not the only one, now is GM going to warranty this or will I end up having to pay for this is the next question on my mind.

BTW - Thank you.

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
Well that answers the "why" question. Pleased to know I'm not the only one, now is GM going to warranty this or will I end up having to pay for this is the next question on my mind.

BTW - Thank you.
It should be a warranty repair, no questions. Unfortunately and I don't know your relationship with your dealer, but you may have to push back a little. First and most obvious is the economic state of affairs. Dealerships are being more difficult with warranty repairs. The other problem with this particular repair is that it is a little too common for dealers to look at the latch handle and figure that the owner did something to break it.

Most dealerships don't see that many Corvettes and are not as versed on the problems and common issues as we are. As such, they like to act smarter than they are sometimes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should be a warranty repair, no questions. Unfortunately and I don't know your relationship with your dealer, but you may have to push back a little. First and most obvious is the economic state of affairs. Dealerships are being more difficult with warranty repairs. The other problem with this particular repair is that it is a little too common for dealers to look at the latch handle and figure that the owner did something to break it.

Most dealerships don't see that many Corvettes and are not as versed on the problems and common issues as we are. As such, they like to act smarter than they are sometimes.

Thank you for the advice, I'll be certain to keep that in mind. Worse case scenario I can't imagine this part being that expensive to replace. But who knows?:doh:

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
Thank you for the advice, I'll be certain to keep that in mind. Worse case scenario I can't imagine this part being that expensive to replace. But who knows?:doh:
The part retails for around $54.00. You should be able to get it cheaper (around $40.00) from a discount dealer like GMpartshouse.com.

The part numbers are:

Black 15143266
Gray 15413268
Cashmere 15924033
Red 15413265

The Cashmere part is cheaper by half of all the other ones as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Me to.. My glove box latch came apart last fall. Didn't force or lank. Just crumbled in my hand on trying to open. Couldn't get the box open with broken latch. Dealer opened it for me and rigged a plastic wire tie to open 'till parts came in a couple of weeks later. All taken care of under 36 mo warranty. Posted here to see if known problem. replies were not ongoing issue. Mine is an '06 coupe. Not sure of build date, but was put into service in Nov. of '05.. good luck..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to look up something in my owners manual that was in the glove box, and the latch just broke? :wtf:

I've done some searches and didn't come up with anything. I wasn't yanking or pulling on this hard, I opened it like any other time.

I'm not sure why I'm even typing all of thise, it is what it is. Guess I need to get down to dealer to order a new one. :doh:

Has anyone else had issues like this?
I realize I'm too late for Yellowragtop. First thing is to order a new latch on Amazon, about $50.00. Then search "replacing glove box latch on C6" (or whichever Vette you have). U-Tube videos will show you how to remove latch, how to remove lock cylinder and put it in your new latch (so you can use the same key), and how to install the latch. You'll save a lot of money on the part and labor and it's very easy to do. I'm not a mechanic. If I can do it, anybody can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts