Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to be tearing down my '87 L98 soon...going to keep it 355ci after a .30 overbore during a basic rebuild with new pistons , rings bearings etc....using good quality parts...I dont plan to race..but have purchased a Lunati Voodoo cam and lifter set...the engine will get a modified chip and will keep the factory intake and exhaust manifold with only the center cat (magnaflow hi flow)....the convertor will be getting a 2200stall....here are the cam specs...will I need new springs .. or will the stockers handle the 52-5500 rpm max it will see once in a blue moon....please let me know what you really know will need upgrading...the car already has 3.73s in the rear...thanks for your help
:thumbsup3:
•Advertised Duration (Intake/Exhaust) 276/286
•Duration @.050" (Intake/Exhaust) 218/228
•Gross Valve Lift (Intake/Exhaust) .503"/.503"
•Lobe Seperation 112
•Intake Center Line 108
•RPM Range 1800-5800

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just not sure with the new cams lift increase to a hair over .500 if I must change springs just for that reason alone

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not wanting to race it...just want a nice sounding friday night boulevard bandit to cruise in...I may do the other mods eventually in time too but I'm a disabled vet who works out of a wheelchair so everything that gets done to the car will be slowly but sure as I when i get funds and the occasional helping hand

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess what I'm sorta looking for is something that runs like somewhere between a LT1 and LT4 with a noticeable chop at idle...still looking to keep the powerband down where a daily driver needs it

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Two opposing comments there
The reason "hot " cams have a idle lope is because of the long duration they have for running big revs which your stock TPI intake is not going to support
A cam that gives the idle sound you WANT is not compatible with a computer controlled setup
:isgree:

Or a "powerband down where a daily driver needs it".

race on!!!
jim

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm aware you've said you want to keep the stock intake, but have you considered a new intake with shorter intake runners to give you an engine with more power at higher revs?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sure...thats always a possibility with the intake..it just might be a month or so after the engine gets put back together...I could downgrade my cam to a milder setup too...if I'm reaching for too much I may just have to set my expectations a bit lower...I have a computer compatible Comp Cams roller that I dont have the specs in front of me but i know the the lift is 480 on both intake and exhaust...and i think 210 [email protected] Intake and 220 on exhaust with a 112cl...might be better for what I've got to work with

·
Registered
836 Posts
L 98

Sounds like a waste of a cam.
Stock TPI intake does not make power over 4500 so having a cam that goes to 5800 is pointless without supporting mods

The stock L98 exhaust is very restrictive and installing a free flowing exh system with long tube headers
is the recognized best bang for buck mod you can do on a L98

And before some D/head says their TPI engine revs over 6K ; it may well do but is not making any more power past the TPI peak Hp point below 5K so the extra revs are wasted

Yep ! Butt I Run NITROUS!!! :doh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
will be good if you change your stock tpi intake, you can go tpis or edelbrock.
My L98 was good with the big mouth and the super ram.
Add headers, for a nice look and performance. take in mind for future budget.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi
Asking if your valve springs can handle your new cam is like asking how far is up. If it were mine, or I was building one for you, I would just get the new ones the cam mfg recommended, & then I'd check them. You should change springs with a new cam. Heck if you need another reason, there age, you know they don't get stronger with age.
And for your other question. NO it's a 2 bolt
Rich

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm aware you've said you want to keep the stock intake, but have you considered a new intake with shorter intake runners to give you an engine with more power at higher revs?
uh , isn't that backwards ?
long runers = top end
short runers for low and midrange

1 - 18 of 18 Posts