Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
The best thing to start with is the intake, port it or replace it(look up the renegade intake). Some guys put carbs on, I switched over to single 2 bbl. tbi years ago, used the stock harness & ecm to run it. I ran a carb type intake w/ egr to pass local emissions test then switched over to a smokey crossram sy1 intake. Anything to get more air in will help.
Is your vette an 84? If so you can do the cold air mod.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
it all comes down to how fast you wanna go
the faster you go , the more $$$$ you spend
intake , cam , heads , exhaust and a tune to start

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
what can i do to get more horsepower from my L83?
The number one, first and best modification you can make is to port your stock intake manifold. any other mods made later will be more effective WITH YOUR ported your intake.

RACE ON!!!
JIM

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Rather than attempting to port your Crossfire I'd suggest buying a Renegade from DCS for a measly $460. You can gain some additional performance from your Crossfire by porting it but in the end a Renegade will easily out-flow it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
First, optimize your ignition timing and fuel pressure. This can be done either on a dyno or regimented experimentation at a track.

Port your intake. done correctly it will provide a documented OVER .5 second reduction in your ET at a track, which any racer knows is a terrific gain. In this case, we're talking virtually for free.

I think many people believe the Renegade is a good move, from a performance perspective. However, it seems the wait for one is a substantial one. You could order one, then port your current intake, and run it in the process.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Rather than attempting to port your Crossfire I'd suggest buying a Renegade from DCS for a measly $460. You can gain some additional performance from your Crossfire by porting it but in the end a Renegade will easily out-flow it.
IF YOU HAD SAVED THE "measly $460", MAYBE YOU COULD AFFORD TO GO TO THE SHOOT-OUT.

SAYS WHO? WHAT DOES YOUR RENEGADE FLOW? WHAT DOES MY HOME PORTED MANIFOLD FLOW?

MORE BASELESS CLAIMS OF THE UNPROVED.

RACE ON!!!
JIM

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Kinda funny... OP makes 1 post about hp gain and the L83, and before you know it this thread and the Renagade thread stay on top.

Either one wants the controversy or one needs some more advertising.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am assuming you're still using the same gaskets. My point was, (i am using random numbers here) if you port your intake out 3" in diameter, and your gasket is 2 3/4" in diameter, you're not gaining anything.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i am assuming you're still using the same gaskets. My point was, (i am using random numbers here) if you port your intake out 3" in diameter, and your gasket is 2 3/4" in diameter, you're not gaining anything.
you know what "assume" means, don't you? I have documented gains from porting. It wasn't counter productive, as you say. I gained! Try it! You'll like it, unless you quit before you're done.

Race on!!!
Jim

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I am assuming you're still using the same gaskets. My point was, (i am using random numbers here) if you port your intake out 3" in diameter, and your gasket is 2 3/4" in diameter, you're not gaining anything.
Ahhh, I got you now. That is correct, but in this case due to the runners' external dimensions, which are a limiting factor, you can't go too big. You'll "make windows" before you have a runner that is too big, for a 350 sized engine. The runner simply cannot be made "too large", in the case of this intake.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
ahhh, i got you now. That is correct, but in this case due to the runners' external dimensions, which are a limiting factor, you can't go too big. You'll "make windows" before you have a runner that is too big, for a 350 sized engine. The runner simply cannot be made "too large", in the case of this intake.
:iagree:

The stock crossfire runners cannot be made too big for a 350 cid engine.

Race on!!!
Jim

1 - 20 of 65 Posts