Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 with a LS2 engine. It is time to change the air filter etc. I am thinking about also chaning the air intake by replacing it with a K & N air charger intake kit. K & N claim it will add horsepower and improve fuel economy. Has any ever used the K & N system? Does the tuning have to also change?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I don't have it, but have seen plenty of people use it. You should not need a tune and it should add a few HP over stock.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
I have a K&N - works fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I also installed the K&N on my 2006. Its been on it for 4 years, no problems, and it sounds and feels like there is more power and better responce....it growls a little louder to .......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K & n

I live in Massachusetts. My only concern is getting an inspection sticker if I change over the the K & N kit. Is there anyone in Massachusetts that has changed to the K & N intake kit and passed the Mass emissions inspection?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I live in Massachusetts. My only concern is getting an inspection sticker if I change over the the K & N kit. Is there anyone in Massachusetts that has changed to the K & N intake kit and passed the Mass emissions inspection?
I've been on car boards for many years and I don't recall ever seeing anyone post that they failed emissions inspection in any state due to a cold air intake.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been on car boards for many years and I don't recall ever seeing anyone post that they failed emissions inspection in any state due to a cold air intake.
You'll absolutely fail the visual inspection in California since the K/N CAI was never certified for use here except for the '05 model only (the '05 CAI is a different model # than the '06 and later models).

2005 - Model 57-3052 (CARB Exempt) 50-state legal.

2006 - Model 63-3052 (Not legal for use in CA or any state that adopts CA emissions standards).

Of course, that doesn't mean that you couldn't just switch it back to stock when it's time for a smog check.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
a K & N air charger intake kit
Air charger??What,does it charge the air to get in?/Does the air light up when it passes thru??:bump2: Don't waste your money on this stuff.IT DOESN'T ADD SQUAT TO THE HORSEPOWER NUMBER!Your LS2 setup is pretty good right from the factory.You want more power,get headers or a supercharger.P.S.,I live in NY and never had any inspection issues with any aftermarket intake,including VARARAM,which incidentally will actually give you more power at speed!Not much,but a little.:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't waste your money on this stuff.IT DOESN'T ADD SQUAT TO THE HORSEPOWER NUMBER!Your LS2 setup is pretty good right from the factory
Not sure I agree with your assessment. You must have a Vararam based on your comments. While I think the K/N CAI is overpriced like most all of the CAI's on the market, K/N does claim a 10.05 HP gain @ 6K RPM's. K/N does have copies of the dyno pull results on their website for a '05 model. Looks like the increases in HP and torque are all at the upper RPM range. If the LS2 OEM air box was so good, why did Chevy change it with the Z06 and LS3? Just cleaning up the circuitous air path of the LS2 OEM air box, which the K/N unit does, has to be worth a few extra HP.

As far as the subject of legality, I found this on the K/N site for the CAI used on the '06 and newer Corvettes (63-3052):

This intake system is not legal for street use in the following states:
Arizona, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington

This intake system is legal for street use in most states. However, it is not legal for street use in California and the above states that have adopted California Emissions Standards under Section 177 of the Federal Clean Air Act of 1970. Intake systems are subject to governmental regulation in California and certain other states adopting the emission standards of the California Air Resources Board. In order for an intake system to be legal on a specific vehicle in California and the other adopting states, the part number must receive a CARB Executive Order (EO) number. This number makes the part legal for use only on specific years, makes and models of vehicles. A decal with CARB EO number for these parts must be displayed in the engine bay to satisfy smog inspection requirements.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You'll absolutely fail the visual inspection in California since the K/N CAI was never certified for use here except for the '05 model only (the '05 CAI is a different model # than the '06 and later models).
How can you say "absolutely will fail"? There are people who get through CA inspection with their headers on, whereas a CAI is not nearly as obvious.

The average corvette owner would not recognize a car with a vararam unless you put the sticker on it, so i have a hard time believing that the CA smog inspectors are trained enough to recognize a corvette CAI kit and know whether or not it is CARB approved.

Do you know anyone who has actually failed visual inspection solely because of a K&N other aftermarket CAI? What percent of CAI modified cars get snagged? 1%, 2%?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've been at smaog stations where cars failed the visual

it all depends on who does the inspection

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
both
for CAI & headers

ironically , they would have passed the sniffer

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Not sure I agree with your assessment. You must have a Vararam based on your comments. While I think the K/N CAI is overpriced like most all of the CAI's on the market, K/N does claim a 10.05 HP gain @ 6K RPM's. K/N does have copies of the dyno pull results on their website for a '05 model. Looks like the increases in HP and torque are all at the upper RPM range. If the LS2 OEM air box was so good, why did Chevy change it with the Z06 and LS3? Just cleaning up the circuitous air path of the LS2 OEM air box, which the K/N unit does, has to be worth a few extra HP.
K+N can claim whatever they want.They are pushing a product.I say unless you drive around with your hood up all day long,once heat soak sets in,you lose whatever gain you may get from that or any similar filter.I recall a test on a C5 where the big filter yielded 19 horsepower on the DYNO.In the real world however,it not only gave up the 19,but it lost a couple to boot.If gaining 10 HP were that easy,GM would have done in at the factory!I do not run a VARARAM but I have in the past.REAL WORLD AT THE TRACK is 2/10ths or so.You're not getting that from a K+N or any other big filter without a hole in your sgroud to make it a REAL CAI,which without that,IT'S NOT!It's a big filter.period.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My son bought me one when my Avalanche was new, he bought me one for my C5 and he bought me one for my C6. The only vehicle that I thought a felt a difference in was the Avalanche. (I can't tell him that, good kid) It might show up as a few HP on the dyno but I honestly haven't felt the difference.......only the sound. It's like from years ago when you had a quadrajet on your motor and you took the air cleaner off......you heard that "whoomp" when you opened up the secondaries. Did the car go faster????? I dunno but it sure sounded good !!!!:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
187 Posts
How can you say "absolutely will fail"? There are people who get through CA inspection with their headers on, whereas a CAI is not nearly as obvious.

The average corvette owner would not recognize a car with a vararam unless you put the sticker on it, so i have a hard time believing that the CA smog inspectors are trained enough to recognize a corvette CAI kit and know whether or not it is CARB approved.

Do you know anyone who has actually failed visual inspection solely because of a K&N other aftermarket CAI? What percent of CAI modified cars get snagged? 1%, 2%?
Depending on how busy the places are, anything could be missed. But I'm going by my past experience with a Mustang Cobra with a K/N CAI on it. The first thing the tech did when he opened the hood was look for the CARB sticker. I had to show him where it was since he couldn't immediately find it since I put it in an inconspicuous place. Otherwise, immediate fail without it.
How is a CAI not nearly as obvious? They stand out compared to stock air boxes, especially with the badging/stickers that the manufacturer usually puts on them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
K+N can claim whatever they want.They are pushing a product.I say unless you drive around with your hood up all day long,once heat soak sets in,you lose whatever gain you may get from that or any similar filter.I recall a test on a C5 where the big filter yielded 19 horsepower on the DYNO.In the real world however,it not only gave up the 19,but it lost a couple to boot.If gaining 10 HP were that easy,GM would have done in at the factory!I do not run a VARARAM but I have in the past.REAL WORLD AT THE TRACK is 2/10ths or so.You're not getting that from a K+N or any other big filter without a hole in your sgroud to make it a REAL CAI,which without that,IT'S NOT!It's a big filter.period.
GM did do it by changing the stock set up with the Z06 and LS3. As I mentioned earlier, the air path of the LS2 OEM air box takes several turns before entering the engine. The staight thru design of the K/N gives a clear, straight path to the intake. That alone is an advantage (and similar to the Z06 and LS3) and the filter itself is forward enough of the radiator to get some cooler air in also. I don't see heat soak as that big a deal.
Whatever........

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
both
for CAI & headers

ironically , they would have passed the sniffer
Headers is a whole different story.

Vinnie, I take the stickers off.

Visit the larger boards; tons of guys run CAI and pass inspection in CA and other states with visual inspection. I'll concede there is a risk of being caught, but there are lots of modified vettes and F-bodies running around in CA; it must be possible to get through for these guys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts