Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering how many people out there bought Corvettes that need work because they can't afford or don't want to go in debt to buy one ??? This is my first Vette. I paid cash for it because i don't like having loans. I can do 90% of my own work. (RETIRED)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just Wondering

I have a 1979 Corvette that I bought in 1980. It was never my everyday driver but I enjoyed it until my first child came along in 1988. It has been sitting in my garage, untouched, since then.
Last week I bought a 2009 Corvette convertible. I started to pull the 1979 out and fix it up but I was blessed to be able to get the new one.
The 1979 will be brought back to life one day when time allows. :thumbsup3:

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
welcome to the forum!

No loans here either... CATSKILL, I'm assuming your in the catskill,ny area?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I paid cash for both of mine
I do 99% of the work on them too.
I've had both transmissions re-done
Why ?
1) Because the guys who did them were brothers , who at the time were the absolute best at what they do. (and they offered to help me but....see below)
Unfortunately , they have both retired.
2) time constraints

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have alot of work ahead of me, but i don't mind. It's better then payments. Living off a small pension so it's one thing at a time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welcome to the forum!

No loans here either... CATSKILL, I'm assuming your in the catskill,ny area?
Sorry for your loss. I couldn't imagine the loss. I have 3 daughters,8 grand kids,3 great grands,one ex-wife. My 2nd wife all she wanted was children and can't. Thats where most of my savings went. Artificialy in,buying eggs.LOST 4 TIMES. Probably could have bought a new Vette,but there are more important things then cars

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I paid cash for all three of mine. Some people buy one that they can afford then start fixing it up when their budget allows. And some people who have no mechanical knowledge buy one that doesn't need any work. It all depends on the individual and how much money they have.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Delancey N.Y.
I know the area. I'm in the Albany region.

Sorry for your loss. I couldn't imagine the loss. I have 3 daughters,8 grand kids,3 great grands,one ex-wife. My 2nd wife all she wanted was children and can't. Thats where most of my savings went. Artificialy in,buying eggs.LOST 4 TIMES. Probably could have bought a new Vette,but there are more important things then cars
Thank you.
Family is always priority to the cars...:cheers:

·
Registered
584 Posts
My 78 is my first car and had the chose of having a good down payment or buying a vette so vette it was (shr its more work but millions of people dont have the same classic)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My 78 is my first car and had the chose of having a good down payment or buying a vette so vette it was (shr its more work but millions of people dont have the same classic)
You can buy any vette you want and know there aren't millions of people with it. Through 97 there were barley over a million made ( about 1,084,000 or so)...

In 78 there were close to 47,000 made, 6,500 of which were pace cars...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've been wondering how many people out there bought Corvettes that need work because they can't afford or don't want to go in debt to buy one ??? This is my first Vette. I paid cash for it because i don't like having loans. I can do 90% of my own work. (RETIRED)
The same thing won't work for everyone. This works for me. Since I have been retired I have purchased 4 autos with the same money. I had a loan ---yes ,,, it cost more money. I used interest on my savings to make the payment. Had I paid cash for that first car I would not have the principal or the interest. None of these cars were my Vette. I received it as a father's day gift in 2001. It was in very good condition --41k miles--now has 57k Love the car. Little hard to get out of for an old guy. Would like to have one with air bags but really like the look of the L-98 It was a gift from my oldest son and I have willed the car to his son.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I bought mine because it's what I wanted and what was affordable....while I like the C5's and 6's the C4 is what was new when I was a teen and what I decided way back when on getting.

·
Registered
584 Posts
bought the year model I wanted.Only an 85 would do.Something about the roughness and shaking I always wanted.Seat of the pants thrill ride.:woowoo:
Your talking about a C3 right? (just joking) (and raising my post count but dont tell no one) :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just Wondering

I was looking for a P/U Truck & I seen this Vette & said to self That's mine .... Never Did Get A New P/U. But Paid Cash For the Vette ! Cause I have no Credit !!!...

·
Registered
394 Posts
They're not 'repairs' they're mandatory upgrades haha. I bought mine three and a half years ago or so and had to get a loan for it but it's paid off now for awhile. It's needed things here and there and gonna need lots more nearing 137k miles now but it's still my show car. Many more things I wish I could do but it's just so expensive to do much of anything big or small any more.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wanted a C4 since I was 4 or 5 years old when the C4 came out. Took me twenty some years but I finally got one. I knew buying a car that old it would need some work. It's mostly cosmetic stuff, seals, etc. The rest I've done have been upgrades, well and replacing the half-shaft I trashed...

I probably could have gotten a bigger loan and bought a C5, but I really like the C4's. The LS engine was the big attraction to buying a little newer, and I could not afford a C6.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts