Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am the proud new owner of a 1987 vette and i have a problem i test drove it and drove it home but now it wont start the starter is just spinning i hear that so i think there is a dead spot on the flywheel whats the best way to fix even if just temporary so i can pull it in the garage so i can work on it please and ty

ps its going to snow tonight so i want to pull it in the garage :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
First Welcome to SV!

Sorry there is no easy way that I can think of. Best bet is to get some help, put it in N and push it in!

In order to get to the starter you need to get it in the air.

it does sound like its the solenoid, Maybe you can get something long in there and try tapping it

·
Registered
320 Posts
i am the proud new owner of a 1987 vette and i have a problem i test drove it and drove it home but now it wont start the starter is just spinning i hear that so i think there is a dead spot on the flywheel whats the best way to fix even if just temporary so i can pull it in the garage so i can work on it please and ty

ps its going to snow tonight so i want to pull it in the garage :thumbsup:
You don't say if it's an auto or manual. Obviously if it's a manual you can bump start it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

yea i got my friend and we pushed it in my garage the car is awesome its my first vette i had a camaro with the same motor. but back on subject it is an auto but i do hear the starter spinning and it sounds like its tryng to grab teeth and cant the starter grind teeth off the flywheel

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah, a starter can grind the teeth on the flywheel down to nothing. Here's a trick I that has worked for me, when pulling the bellhousing bolts, use longer bolts at the 4 lower ones. This helps you slide the trans back (on a jack)enough w/out dropping it & realigning it. There should be enough room to change the flexplate, slide tranny back up, replace w/ origanal bolts in the bell housing.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Yeah, a starter can grind the teeth on the flywheel down to nothing. Here's a trick I that has worked for me, when pulling the bellhousing bolts, use longer bolts at the 4 lower ones. This helps you slide the trans back (on a jack)enough w/out dropping it & realigning it. There should be enough room to change the flexplate, slide tranny back up, replace w/ origanal bolts in the bell housing.

I agree 100%. It's not necessary to pull the transmission completely out. Just slide it back on LONG bolts about 4" so you can replace the flex plate. Then slide the transmission back and bolt it up. A fairly easy job. Now, it IS possible your bendix is shot. If so, then it's easy to replace by just removing the starter. Does it make a HORRENDOUS noise when you're trying to start it? If so, then it's probably a ruined flex plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts