Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 84 and its in running condition,I just would like to know what I can do to increase its performance for under $1500. I know that isn't too realistic but I don't have a lot of money for the car now but would like to do something to it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
I just bought an 84 and its in running condition,I just would like to know what I can do to increase its performance for under $1500. I know that isn't too realistic but I don't have a lot of money for the car now but would like to do something to it.

Your biggest problem is your very restrictive CrossFire intake manifold as it'll only flow around 425 cfm which limits your engine to about 4500 rpm. Rather than spending MANY hours trying to port it bigger I suggest buying a Renegade intake manifold from DCS in Arizona for $460. The Renegade will easily flow in excess of what your stock engine could ever swallow. I put one on my '82 early last year and it made a huge difference as I can easily wind my engine to 5500+ rpm in 1st and 2nd gears. E-mail them at [email protected] for more information.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Your biggest problem is your very restrictive CrossFire intake manifold as it'll only flow around 425 cfm which limits your engine to about 4500 rpm. Rather than spending MANY hours trying to port it bigger I suggest buying a Renegade intake manifold from DCS in Arizona for $460. The Renegade will easily flow in excess of what your stock engine could ever swallow. I put one on my '82 early last year and it made a huge difference as I can easily wind my engine to 5500+ rpm in 1st and 2nd gears. E-mail them at [email protected] for more information.
This will work very well if you like throwing $460 at something and waiting for months or years for the product to show up. Porting your manifold can get you results this weekend. I know which one I would choose if I were building another 84.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
This will work very well if you like throwing $460 at something and waiting for months or years for the product to show up. Porting your manifold can get you results this weekend. I know which one I would choose if I were building another 84.

I can easily see spending an entire day of grinding just to open up the insides of one runner to a dimension much bigger than it already is. The runners are approximately 7" long and there is a water jacket only 3/16" under the floor of each runner. So any grinding must be done on the sides and roof. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I can easily see spending an entire day of grinding just to open up the insides of one runner to a dimension much bigger than it already is. The runners are approximately 7" long and there is a water jacket only 3/16" under the floor of each runner. So any grinding must be done on the sides and roof. Good luck.
Even at one day per runner, he is getting faster results than waiting for a manifold to ship.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
anyone try extrude-hone ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok,to the person who suggested the manifold,I called up the guy in Arizona a while back with the same thoughts you had, he has 4 weeks of back orders and said he couldn't get to me for some time if I were to go that route, as for the person who suggested porting my manifold,I like your thought ok that but the only thing is I am not smart enough to do something like that, I have been doing my best to learn more. When I bought the car it came with an oversized camshaft but we don't know what size it is which is making some trouble with my mechanic,just throwing this out there,what do you guys think about adjusting gear ratios?

·
Registered
221 Posts
That was plain ignorant

Sell it ! & Get a Later C-4 !!!! :thumbsup3:
There are people that can make a honda fast,So i know da** well he can make his 84 faster,How can you call yourself a vette owner/lover by bashing another vette.If you can't give him advice on what to do,Its better just not to say nothing.:ban:

·
Registered
232 Posts
84!

There are people that can make a honda fast,So i know da** well he can make his 84 faster,How can you call yourself a vette owner/lover by bashing another vette.If you can't give him advice on what to do,Its better just not to say nothing.:ban:
I'M NOT BASHing ! I'm Just Telling the Truth !! U can't get a 84! To Run Like a 96 !! So Maybe ! U Ot To think ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
He never said that

I'M NOT BASHing ! I'm Just Telling the Truth !! U can't get a 84! To Run Like a 96 !! So Maybe ! U Ot To think ?
He never said he wanted it to run like a 96,He just said he wanted it faster,You and me know it won't run like a 96 unless he plan to spend alot more money then $1500.But i am sorry for saying you was bashing his vette,But i like all vettes,And yes some vettes are gonna be faster then others,But that does not mean he needs a newer vette.He just may like that body style.Iam gonna get a newer vette,But i am gonna still keep my 85 because i love the way it drives.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
there is a direct ratio

speed = $$$$$

·
Registered
232 Posts

He never said he wanted it to run like a 96,He just said he wanted it faster,You and me know it won't run like a 96 unless he plan to spend alot more money then $1500.But i am sorry for saying you was bashing his vette,But i like all vettes,And yes some vettes are gonna be faster then others,But that does not mean he needs a newer vette.He just may like that body style.Iam gonna get a newer vette,But i am gonna still keep my 85 because i love the way it drives.
I Put Nitrous in Mine ..... That's Cheap HP !!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
some vettes suck , sorry......

what has been seen , cannot be unseen

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Trust me, an 84 can run far better than a 96 with money into it. I should know as I have my 84 and my mom had a 96. Just so you know, my crappy little 84 outruns brand new corvettes. It keeps up very well with Z06s. I haven't been able to get a good run against one yet though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts