Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I just acquired a 73 and we were looking at the selection of books available. All seem great but I know some are probably a waist of time.

We plan to do a period correct mod restore since it is not numbers matching.

We will do all the work ourselves with the exception of paint and machine work.

Recommendations?

Also, what is the best source for parts. Some used are fine....

:food-smiley-019:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I also have a '73 which I have resto'd inside and out. I got the '73 Chev shop manual which is a little tedious because it covers all chevy cars for that year, but it's a good resource. For easier reading and car specific info I got a Chilton's but it's not exactly what I want either. I have heard good things about the Haynes manual but haven't bought it yet. Anything you get is likely to be for all 68-82 Vette years. As for parts, I have tried them all with mostly good results. My favorite is Keen's for personal service and vehicle knowledge and their prices are competitive. Good luck and you found the right place to get your questions answered here at SV.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mid-America, Zip, corvette central, corvette america, VB&P, & ecklers will all match each others prices and special "deals". Just get on their email lists to receive the special free shipping offers, etc.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
are the old factory manuals as good as the ones for the newer models ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bummer
the new ones are awesome

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no its not price ,its quality that they fall short on.. you will find that they are not on par with places like Ecklers and Corvette Central
Thanks for the advice. Will probably save me a lot of time....

We spent only a few hours going through all the "stuff" that came with it. The interior had been taken out of the car and from what we can tell it is almost all there.

One of the door latches is extremely corroded because it was sitting in a shed. Trying to determine if it's worth cleaning up or just buying a new or used replacement.

That's the kind of stuff we're looking at now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I found the assembly build book to be good as it shows what parts are suppose to be there and part #'s too.
I used Ebay (some times you can buy straight from the manufacture instead of the middle men)and Wilcox's the most when I did the interior of my 1980.
Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
One more thing, if you find something on this site still check price as not all item offered here are a good buy.
I just purchased Lloyd mats for my 2002 and saved over $30 buy getting them off ebay.
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts