Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(From Another Forum)

I'm looking for some opinions on whats going on. I have been fighting a backfire thru carb. Long story short, I have adjusted my lifters using method I read on this forum, started checking compression, cyl. #3 had zero compression, thought I must have done something wrong, readjusted intake valve using the method of watching exh. pushrod just to start move and then adjust intake, it has pushrod guides so I cannot do the twisting pushrod till I feel resistance, cant get my big fingers in there. adjusted polylock till it just took movement out and then went 1/2 turn, still no compression, backed it off that 1/2 turn just for kicks and then have compression that is comparable to other cylinders, so basically it is adjusted to the point it just takes slack out of valve train, it is hydraulic flat tappet. any idea whats going on, bad lifter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First of all don't pay any attention to the "experts" because they also don't know what they're doing. Here's how to successfully adjust your hydraulic lifters every time:

1. Mark your damper every 90 degrees.

2 Start at cylinder #1's TDC on its COMPRESSION stroke. Slip a piece of notebook paper between the valve's tip and the rocker arm then tighten the adjustment nut until the rocker arm JUST grips the paper. That's zero lash. Now go an additional ONE TURN down. Adjust the other lifter the same way then:

3. Rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees to cylinder #8. Adjust those lifters then:

4. Rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees to cylinder #4. Adjust those lifters then:

5. Rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees to cylinder #3. Adjust those lifters then:

6. Rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees to cylinder #6. Adjust those lifters then:

7. Rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees to cylinder #5. Adjust those lifters then:

8. Rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees to cylinder #7. Adjust those lifters then:

9. Rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees to cylinder #2. Adjust those lifters.

Done.

You would think after 67 years people would know how to adjust their hydraulic lifters but that's not the case because they continue to adjust theirs wrong.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts