Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help me out on this. I was thinking about doing a LED swap with all my interior bulbs, until I read one persons write up that was saying that the LED's that he installed didn't turn completely off because they didn't have enough resistance to trigger the computer to shut them off?

How can I tell what is the amount of resistance needed so that the map lights will turn off, rather than staying on and killing the battery?

·
Agent
2,233 Posts
You would be better off finding one of the LED kits that are designed to be used in place of your interior bulbs. In order to use an LED you need to solder a resistor in series with the LED so that the voltage drop across the circuit is adequate. For example:

In the vehicle the LED (light emitting diode) is commonly used as an indicator for alerting you if a circuit is powered on. However you can't simply plug an LED into your 12 volt power supply in your vehicle and expect it to work. The common LED requires only 2 volts to work so the power supplying your LED needs to be reduced from 12 volts down to 2 volts. That is accomplished by using a resistor. Note: typical LEDs require 2V for each LED however some require 4V such as for blue and white LEDs.

LED in a 12 volt vehicle

In the diagram above, the "R" is a 470 or 560 ohm resistor, either will work for the common LED requiring 2 volts. You will need to acquire one resistor per LED. Resistors can usually be purchased in the same electronics stores as the LEDs themselves.

Wiring LED Lights

The LED has two leads and they have to be wired in a specific way. The two leads are called: a or + for anode and k or - for cathode (yes, it really is k, not c, for cathode). The cathode is the short lead and there may be a slight flat on the body of round LEDs. If you can see inside the LED the cathode is the larger electrode (but this is not an official identification method).

LED in a 12 volt vehicle

It is always wise to test your circuit before making it permanent. Caution: Never connect an LED directly to a battery or power supply! It will be destroyed almost instantly because too much current will pass through and burn it out. LEDs must have the resistor in series to limit the current to a safe value. For quick testing purposes use alligator clips or temporally connect wires to the resistor without shorting them together. Connect the longer anode (a) or + end to the +positive side of the battery or 12 volt power source. Connect the cathode (k) or - end of the LED to the resistor, then the other end of the resistor to the negative side of the battery. (See diagram above). If all goes well, you should see light. If you have the LED wired backwards, it simple will not work. Just reverse the LED leads.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You would be better off finding one of the LED kits that are designed to be used in place of your interior bulbs. In order to use an LED you need to solder a resistor in series with the LED so that the voltage drop across the circuit is adequate. For example:

In the vehicle the LED (light emitting diode) is commonly used as an indicator for alerting you if a circuit is powered on. However you can't simply plug an LED into your 12 volt power supply in your vehicle and expect it to work. The common LED requires only 2 volts to work so the power supplying your LED needs to be reduced from 12 volts down to 2 volts. That is accomplished by using a resistor. Note: typical LEDs require 2V for each LED however some require 4V such as for blue and white LEDs.

LED in a 12 volt vehicle

In the diagram above, the "R" is a 470 or 560 ohm resistor, either will work for the common LED requiring 2 volts. You will need to acquire one resistor per LED. Resistors can usually be purchased in the same electronics stores as the LEDs themselves.

Wiring LED Lights

The LED has two leads and they have to be wired in a specific way. The two leads are called: a or + for anode and k or - for cathode (yes, it really is k, not c, for cathode). The cathode is the short lead and there may be a slight flat on the body of round LEDs. If you can see inside the LED the cathode is the larger electrode (but this is not an official identification method).

LED in a 12 volt vehicle

It is always wise to test your circuit before making it permanent. Caution: Never connect an LED directly to a battery or power supply! It will be destroyed almost instantly because too much current will pass through and burn it out. LEDs must have the resistor in series to limit the current to a safe value. For quick testing purposes use alligator clips or temporally connect wires to the resistor without shorting them together. Connect the longer anode (a) or + end to the +positive side of the battery or 12 volt power source. Connect the cathode (k) or - end of the LED to the resistor, then the other end of the resistor to the negative side of the battery. (See diagram above). If all goes well, you should see light. If you have the LED wired backwards, it simple will not work. Just reverse the LED leads.
Awesome information :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I hope someone can help me out on this. I was thinking about doing a LED swap with all my interior bulbs, until I read one persons write up that was saying that the LED's that he installed didn't turn completely off because they didn't have enough resistance to trigger the computer to shut them off?

How can I tell what is the amount of resistance needed so that the map lights will turn off, rather than staying on and killing the battery?
A quick and easy way to do it is just install this kit from CorvetteHID

http://www.corvettehid.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=200

No resistors needed :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts