Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No state inspections/emissions here in FL so I want to remove the worthless pos from the exhaust system. What are the pros and cons of having no cat? I have an idea myself, but I thought I would throw it out to the more tenured C3 guys and get experienced replies. Thanks for the advice.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
I agree, its just dead weight if you don t have emission testing..true duals would be even better........Oh ,and don t believe anyone who tells you that you need that backpressure for torque or some such thing... Its a myth, backpressure does not help an engine ...I ve even heard some say it will burn your valves, nonsense. if you burn a valve its because your mix is too lean, not because the hot exhaust is leaving too fast

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've toyed with going the true dual exhaust route. I don't want to do too much to it money-wise, just want to clean it up, tweak it here and there, and drive it. Removing the cat is something I think about doing every once in a while. Thanks. :thumbsup3:

· Registered
217 Posts
with a free breathing exhaust you will almost assuredly need to richen your carburetor a little. and yes the back pressure thing is b.s . also recurve your distributor you won't believe how well it will run, no really you won't believe it

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
with a free breathing exhaust you will almost assuredly need to richen your carburetor a little. and yes the back pressure thing is b.s . also recurve your distributor you won't believe how well it will run, no really you won't believe it
I shouldn't have to re adjust anything if all I do is remove the cat, right? I want to do the true dual exhaust but will probably just take off the cat for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.