Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my '71 with its 87 octane friendly 385 hp 454" marine engine I was impressed with its stump pulling 500 ft/lbs of torque. But as I just can't leave things alone I decided to pump it up by increasing its compression ratio, giving it more camshaft duration, and a higher flowing aluminum intake manifold.

The 385 hp marine cams have a 220/220 duration and .500" lift like the L-82's have and they provide mild lopes (those pleasing to the ear sounds). I chose a flat tappet 286H Competition Cams 236/236 duration with a .556" lift which operates at a higher 2200 to 6200 rpm; substantially hotter than the marine cam.

The 385 hp marine engines have a flat iron intake manifold with small cross section runners and use a 750 cfm QuadraJet carburetor. As such they produce a lot of low end torque but I wanted higher mid range torque so I chose an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold with larger cross section runners to flow more air and a 770 cfm Holley.

The 385 hp marine engines have 87 octane friendly flat top pistons so I installed .100" domed pistons that produce a (with my mid 60's 396"/427" heads) 9.95 to 1 compression ratio which requires 91 octane gasoline.

I pocket ported then port matched my heads to my Air Gap intake and then I installed the larger high performance valves for increased breathing. Those modifications alone probably netted another 25 to 30 hp.

After the addition of higher performance parts I would estimate my 454" produces around 500 hp with a small reduction in torque. The question now being how much power is too much power? As my '71 accelerates like a rocket I would say anything that accelerates faster has too much power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I bought my '71 with its 87 octane friendly 385 hp 454" marine engine I was impressed with its stump pulling 500 ft/lbs of torque. But as I just can't leave things alone I decided to pump it up by increasing its compression ratio, giving it more camshaft duration, and a higher flowing aluminum intake manifold.

The 385 hp marine cams have a 220/220 duration and .500" lift like the L-82's have and they provide mild lopes (those pleasing to the ear sounds). I chose a flat tappet 286H Competition Cams 236/236 duration with a .556" lift which operates at a higher 2200 to 6200 rpm; substantially hotter than the marine cam.

The 385 hp marine engines have a flat iron intake manifold with small cross section runners and use a 750 cfm QuadraJet carburetor. As such they produce a lot of low end torque but I wanted higher mid range torque so I chose an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold with larger cross section runners to flow more air and a 770 cfm Holley.

The 385 hp marine engines have 87 octane friendly flat top pistons so I installed .100" domed pistons that produce a (with my mid 60's 396"/427" heads) 9.95 to 1 compression ratio which requires 91 octane gasoline.

I pocket ported then port matched my heads to my Air Gap intake and then I installed the larger high performance valves for increased breathing. Those modifications alone probably netted another 25 to 30 hp.

After the addition of higher performance parts I would estimate my 454" produces around 500 hp with a small reduction in torque. The question now being how much power is too much power? As my '71 accelerates like a rocket I would say anything that accelerates faster has too much power.
It's a valid question, but I think it depends on the driver. I have a 2018 ZO6 (claimed 650HP/650LB/Ft, rear wheel HP is closer to 550 if you look at dozens of stock cars on dyno's). I came from a 1999 C5 1LT 6 Speed manual. It was fun, and I thought it was fast. the first few times I tested the acceleration of my ZO6 I wondered if it had too much power, but I got used to it. If you can keep the thing on the road and between the lines, I think there is no limit. Heck, look at YouTube and you'll find street cars with 1000,2000,3000 HP and more. I'm not sure I need that, but a cool 850 sounds about right to me now. I have raced many cars, and you know there are plenty out there that could beat me, but I haven't lost yet, even with over revving occasionally and catching the rev limiter. It's doggone fast, but I know I can handle more.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a valid question, but I think it depends on the driver. I have a 2018 ZO6 (claimed 650HP/650LB/Ft, rear wheel HP is closer to 550 if you look at dozens of stock cars on dyno's). I came from a 1999 C5 1LT 6 Speed manual. It was fun, and I thought it was fast. the first few times I tested the acceleration of my ZO6 I wondered if it had too much power, but I got used to it. If you can keep the thing on the road and between the lines, I think there is no limit. Heck, look at YouTube and you'll find street cars with 1000,2000,3000 HP and more. I'm not sure I need that, but a cool 850 sounds about right to me now. I have raced many cars, and you know there are plenty out there that could beat me, but I haven't lost yet, even with over revving occasionally and catching the rev limiter. It's doggone fast, but I know I can handle more.
Even though I live in the middle of nowhere I find there are very few roads that are wide enough, straight enough, or empty enough to safely open mine up and feel its brute torque for more than a few seconds so all of its power goes unused. I do however love it's pleasing rumpety rumpety rumpety sound as I idle through parking lots in 2nd at about 1200 rpm.

The bad thing about having a quick revving high horsepower engine is its ability to go way too fast way too quick. I am a very cautious driver and never do stupid things like I used to do when I was younger. I have a TH700R4 and 3.70's and constantly remind myself a sudden full throttle in stop-and-go city traffic will force a 2nd to 1st downshift which will break the tires loose and send it out of control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even though I live in the middle of nowhere I find there are very few roads that are wide enough, straight enough, or empty enough to safely open mine up and feel its brute torque for more than a few seconds so all of its power goes unused. I do however love it's pleasing rumpety rumpety rumpety sound as I idle through parking lots in 2nd at about 1200 rpm.

The bad thing about having a quick revving high horsepower engine is its ability to go way too fast way too quick. I am a very cautious driver and never do stupid things like I used to do when I was younger. I have a TH700R4 and 3.70's and constantly remind myself a sudden full throttle in stop-and-go city traffic will force a 2nd to 1st downshift which will break the tires loose and send it out of control.
Boy that’s the truth though. When I had slower “fast cars” I would race people at traffic lights. Now I leave that to the Subaru crowd. There’s just not enough space, and when you hit 60 in less than 3 seconds it’s just far too fast for city streets. Around here there are a few stretches of Mexico racing if you get my drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy that’s the truth though. When I had slower “fast cars” I would race people at traffic lights. Now I leave that to the Subaru crowd. There’s just not enough space, and when you hit 60 in less than 3 seconds it’s just far too fast for city streets. Around here there are a few stretches of Mexico racing if you get my drift.

We have a few roads that are wide and straight but there's always the chance of a coyote suddenly darting across the road. A 120 mph collision with a coyote would certainly kill the coyote but it would also seriously damage a C3. I have driven around 100,000 miles with my L-88 style hood and I've never encountered anyone wanting to race me.

When I make a modification with the hope it'll add power I see how much time it takes to go from 60 mph to 100 mph. No burning tires, no drive train shocks, no shifting gears, just brute torque.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Once you reach around 450 hp it's pointless to add more power unless you are track racing your C3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts