Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 10 years ago I read an interesting technical article about how much more power Ram Air produced on a motorcycle in a wind tunnel. I don't remember what kind of motorcycle it was nor its engine size but I do remember it made 10% more power at a wind speed of 150 mph.

After I fabricated my Ram Air I attached a Wc" (water column) gauge to my air cleaner housing and it showed 8" Wc @ 60 mph and 12" Wc at 90 mph so the amount of inlet pressure was directly proportional to the road speed.

8" Wc is the equivilant of 1/2 psi and although not a lot it made enough of a difference to the Pro Stock boys in the 1970's and 1980's that they all used it. So an engine producing 450 hp without Ram Air would produce 495 hp with Ram Air at 150 mph. Some of the additional power came from the cooler air that was being inducted as cooler air is denser than warmer air.

My '71 gained an additional 3 mpg from my Ram Air so it did make a big difference in my fuel mileage. As the air intake is ahead of my radiator it sees full frontal pressure going down the highway.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts