Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about chopping off everything including the mufflers and wonder if there is an electrical connection to my npp gizmo or if it is a mechanically run set-up. If it only opens above a certain rpm, that sounds like there must be electrical control??? I still cannot believe GM designed a system that gives 6 h.p. for $1195..... I hate the way exhaust tips look and think I want to just run two straight pipes out the back. OLD SKUL RULES!!!!!

·
Smokin Vendor
21 Posts
The NPP option is a vacuum controled valve on the factory exhaust which is controlled by the ECU. It will open and closed based on RPM and throttle position.

You can manually control the valve with a aftermarket switch, which can be operated with a keyfob.

Take a look at the Fusion system from Billy Boat Exhaust. We have designed a system that gives you a deeper tone and more volume than the factory system, in addition to more power.

You can get more information on the Billy Boat Fusion system here http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c6fusion/

Please feel free to give us a call if we can help you. You can also hear the exhaust on the SmokinVette Z06 on the site.

Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

So ........ If I want to just hack off the entire back 4', how do I close off the vacuum/elect portion of the control?

·
Registered
103 Posts
So ........ If I want to just hack off the entire back 4', how do I close off the vacuum/elect portion of the control?
There is a fuse you can pull that keeps the pipes open all of time. I'm guessing that is what you should do if you want to remove the mufflers.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HELL yes! WHAT fuse?

HELL! That sounds like something to do whether I remove this crap or not. Who knows what fuse and where to do this, please? THNX!!!!!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
HELL! That sounds like something to do whether I remove this crap or not. Who knows what fuse and where to do this, please? THNX!!!!!
Danko, I have the location written down on a piece of paper. I will find it tonight and PM you with the location. Pulling the fuse will keep the valves permanently open. Your exhaust will be plenty loud. I have the Mild-2-Wild system that allows you to open or close it whenever you want by just pushing a button. It is a very nice accessory.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how to close the vaccum?

So if I eliminate the npp crap, how do I shut off the vacuum control. Is there a hose to cap, or what?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would imagine if you follow the hose back to the engine bay you'll see where the NPP system is drawing vacuum from. I guess you would cap the line off there?

If you do remove the NPP, do it neatly so they will still function and can be sold. While you may not care for them, many '05-'07 C6 owners look for used NPPs to install on their cars.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay...

Tell me of just one, please, hopefully not too far away and yes, I would have everything removed neatly because whoever buys my car whenever may want to return it to stock. You do not know me at all. It is not me that would be following anything like a vacuum line to the engine bay, especially if capping it at the rear would have the same effect. thnx, tho ......... now, for the name of the guy that wants my npp.........

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not sure why I suggested tracing it back to the engine bay. That does seem like a waste. I would imagine capping it off at the back would be about the same...:toocrazy:

Check the ForSale sections of various Corvette forums and you'll see the NPP systems go pretty quick. I've seen used '08 NPPs go for $700-900 in good condition. '09+ are a little cheaper because they require some slight modification to get them to fit on pre '09 C6s. Z06 NPPs go for $400-600 because they require even more work to fit on non Z cars. Post them for sale and I'm sure you'll have no issue selling them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not sure why I suggested tracing it back to the engine bay. That does seem like a waste. I would imagine capping it off at the back would be about the same...:toocrazy:

Check the ForSale sections of various Corvette forums and you'll see the NPP systems go pretty quick. I've seen used '08 NPPs go for $700-900 in good condition. '09+ are a little cheaper because they require some slight modification to get them to fit on pre '09 C6s. Z06 NPPs go for $400-600 because they require even more work to fit on non Z cars. Post them for sale and I'm sure you'll have no issue selling them.
My plan is to go headers, Z sized highflow cats and x pipe and then Z06 NPPs, so how much more work to fit the Z06 NPPs on an 09 Z51, A6, Vert? I had just assumed they would be a direct fit, silly me!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only issue I have heard with the Z06 NPPs is the difference in diameter of the pipes between base and Z cars. So if you were to use a Z06 size X-pipe the Z06 NPPs should bolt right up. Also, I believe in '09 the over axle pipes were routed slightly different than '05-'08 so there might be some work that needs to be done there. If you can get an '09 NPP system it should bolt right up though. As for auto vs manual, I don't believe there is a different configuration between the pipe layouts.

I can't be certain on all of the above info so please doublt check.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In the 2008 Owners Manual page 5-97 it shows you layout of the fuses. The fuse box is located on the passengers side under the carpet. It took me less than 5 minutes start to finish when I opened the door. Like I said earlier, removing that fuse, keeps the pipes open and loud. To me, however, it's just music.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what forums?

k0bun, What forums are you aware of that I could sell my npp on for $700 to $900? Details, please. PM is necessary. thnx!

·
Registered
106 Posts
k0bun, What forums are you aware of that I could sell my npp on for $700 to $900? Details, please. PM is necessary. thnx!
I used to see them for sale on Corvette Forum all the time. It's possible the market has dropped slightly but I doubt it. Base car NPPs have always been a hot item.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That site sees a lot of traffic and has some good tech info and buying/selling opportunities. However, the moderators there have a heavy hand. If you cross them or any of the supporting vendors you'll be banned. It's long been considered too vendor protected and many stories have been swept under the rug because of it.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Who, me????

I fear no mods being the considerate silver-tongued forum member I am. What I am really starting to realize, though, is that I owe it to myself to make the changes I want on my car and to Hell with anyone else's opinion. I will die before resale becomes an issue, too. Meanwhile, thnx to the forums and their members, I am getting a much better idea of what my options truly are. That other forum had a sound clip of a guy that totally removed his mufflers and went to just pipe, as I have done on a couple vehicles. It also led me to believe that as I get my car up, a bit, I may also be able to not only go to just pipe, but do it straight and not up and over the axle. That is how I had my 1966 427/425 and I love the look of just two pipes coming straight back and hanging low. It may have to wait until spring, but I am getting excited anticipating the departure of the four coffee cans and being excited about my car is something this old fart deserves. Removing the coffee cans is an obvious signal that no kid owns my car and no one suffering from today's "exhaust tip itis" is driving it. Thnx all for your info!!!!! Now, it would be nice for someone to tell me removing my NPP and mufflers will not affect my warranty.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts