Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:z1-2:Ever since I got this 06', the rear window has been too low, coming a fraction of an inch away from the rear of the roof when I lift the hatch. It binds the trim seal when I lower the hatch, and has torn the 2nd seal I have had on the car. I recently looked at several c6's in Monterey, at Laguna Seca, and noticed some others were also low. My local auto glass shop would not get be able to adjust it unless they raised the hatch to do so. I have felt that the window alone could be raised higher at its front to solve. I just looked at a guy's 07' today, and his glass is almost in perfect alignment with the roof. Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I don't understand how the glass would move in the hatch. If something is rubbing when opening the hatch, it sounds like an issue with the hatch. What 2 parts actually make contact? Are the brackets that hold the hatch to the car aligned properly and not bent?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm not quite understandign this.
The glass is set into the window opening of the hatch. Are you saying that the glass is not sitting in the proper alignment on the hatch? Or are you saying that the hatch sits below the panels around it when the hatch is closed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The glass is sitting in a low alignment on the hatch. That is why it comes extremely close to the rear roof edge when the glass/hatch assembly is raised. The hatch is in very good (Flush) alignment with the left and right panels around it when the hatch is closed. I have a YouTube video (06' C6 low rear window) showing the problem.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
At work this morning, I took a look at my hatch and how it sits while putting my roof panel back on. With the hatch closed, the glass is about a 1/2" from the halo bar (i.e. roof) sitting on the gasket. In the back I'd guess the hatch has only about an 1/8" clearance to the car. When I raise the hatch, it looks like I clear the roof gasket by about 1/4". If I were to raise the glass (i.e. slide it forward toward the front of the car, that would increase the chances of it not clearing. If I raised the height (i.e. move the glass toward the sky when the hatch is closed), I'd be concerned that it would not seal tightly on the car. Do you have a big indent in your gasket, because that's what I'd expect if the glass were too low. If it is really low, I'd talk to another glass shop. There must be a gasket that the glass sits on in the frame. Maybe it compressed. The dealer's body shop will have the parts drawing which would give you a chance to see how it fits and what could be done.

The other thing I noticed is that the hinges rub against the gasket when I raise and lower the hatch. Make sure you tear is not occurring from the hinges having a burr or other imperfection.

BTW, I took a look at a video you posted a while ago. The video quality was poor IIRC. You consider redoing it if you are still seeking help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.