Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created a reverse cowl induction air chamber in my hood to draw air from the air dam coming over the radiator support. After testing with temperature sensors in the engine bay and air chamber, there was a huge drop in temperature going into the engine compared to just an under hood 14" air cleaner that I was using before. Also, when I get on the throttle, the engine bay temperature rises, while the air intake temperature lowers during acceleration. Here's a picture of my work, and a video of my testing.

Temperature Testing Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoMFocEvm8

· Registered
5,591 Posts
that motor sounds HEALTHY

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what was ambient temp that day? looks like it works pretty well..
Outside temperature was 55 to 60 degrees during testing. I checked the gauges before I installed them and they both matched ambient temperature. I can feel an improvement in how it runs and performs. I'll take another video when the weather gets hotter.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Outside temperature was 55 to 60 degrees during testing. I checked the gauges before I installed them and they both matched ambient temperature. I can feel an improvement in how it runs and performs. I'll take another video when the weather gets hotter.
I ll bet you can...for every 10* below 80* , you lower the temp of incoming air to engine , you gain about 1-2% hp....whats the power level of your engine? Vettex2 is right, sounds healthy

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should be close to 500 hp. Revs to 7000 rpm no problem, but I try to keep it under that.

Here's what I have in the engine/ extras:

350 4 bolt main
Block .040 over to 385 Stroker
Balanced rotating assembly
Clevite bearings throughout
Scat nodular crank 3.75" stroke
Pioneer race balancer
AMS Racing H-beam rods good for 650hp (identical to Eagle rods)
Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons 10.25.1 compression with the 64cc heads
World Products iron 64cc heads 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust valves 200cc intake runners
Summit Racing hardened pushrods
Crane Gold Series aluminum rockers 1.52 ratio
Lunati Bracket Master II hydraulic cam, 300 degree advertised duration, 246 degrees at .050 lift, 108 degree lobe separation, .515 lift intake/exhaust
Summit Racing double roller timing chain
Edelbrock Torker II intake manifold
Barry Grant Speed Demon 750 Carb. Mechanical secondaries
MSD 6A Ignition Control
MSD Blaster Coil
MSD Pro Billet Distributor
MSD Red Super Conductor 8.5mm Wires
ACDelco Professional Platinum Spark Plugs
14" K & N Air Filter & Xtreme filter top
Edelbrock Victor Jr. reverse flow water pump (serpentine conversion)
March Underdrive Pulley Kit
160-Degree Thermostat
Dewitt’s Aluminum Radiator with dual Spal fans
Hedman Side Exhaust Headers 1 5/8” Jet-Hot coated inside & out
Sweet Thunder 1969 Style Stainless Steel Side Exhaust

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
I agree, should be very near or at 500 .. very similar to mine,..mine is all Scat, forged , I have a little more cam, Howards Racing Extreme Torque Series, full Roller , .576 lift 254* duration @.050 and Patriot Freedom 195 ported alum heads and fed by Quikfuel 750cfm Dbl /mech .. mine dyno d @ 525HP /498Ft lbs trq .. gotta love that lope at idle

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, should be very near or at 500 .. very similar to mine,.. I have a little more cam, Howards Racing Extreme Torque Series, full Roller , .576 lift 254* duration @.050 and ported alum heads and fed by Quikfuel 750cfm Dbl /mech .. mine dyno d @ 525HP /498Ft lbs trq .. gotta love that lope at idle
Looks like you have a sweet setup also. Thanks, good to know yours dynoed so good. Yeah, I figured around 500 was a good guess. How about the looks when you're sitting at a traffic light? For the rest of the drivetrain I have a T56 with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Centerforce DF clutch, and 370 rear. I knocked some weight off too, with it at 3,180 no spare, no one inside, and 1/2 tank of gas. Aluminum heads would be nice. :thumbsup:

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's what the cold air modification cost me.

Fiberglass panel was free. My work was throwing it away. (An unused wind deflector for a semi truck roof).

Nortons Speedgrip panel adhesive was $35. I already had the applicator gun.

I already had the K&N air cleaner. I used a 16" 16 gauge aluminum cake pan cut and sealed with rivets to the drop base, cost was $20.

Moroso Cowl Induction foam hood seal cost $20.

I think I paid about $20 for a roll of the thermal insulation.

So, my total cost was under $100.

Also, I paid about $10 a piece for the 2 temperature displays with sensors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.