Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Side windows are 10% and the back window is as dark as possible.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Are there laws in your area for such percentages?
If not, go dark or go fairly dark with a little reflectivity to enhance the tinting inside the vehicle.

Sometimes my trucks (which are tinted beyond legal limits here) are almost too dark if it's misty/raining and dark outside, especially at dawn and dusk.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
20% all the way around.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would find it strange if Kalifornia does not have laws relating to window tint. It might be beneficial for you to find out what those limits are in your state.

I have the "darkest legal tint" available in the state of Indiana. Here, there is a fine for the owner of a vehicle that has tint darker than legal. There is also a fine for the applicator of that tint and it is double what the fine for having it is. I believe the figures are $250 and $500. If the owner of the vehicle fails to disclose who applied the tint, they pay both fines. In addition, you are required to get the tint stripped and present your vehicle at a location where it can be remeasured to prove that it has been returned to legal level.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I would find it strange if Kalifornia does not have laws relating to window tint. It might be beneficial for you to find out what those limits are in your state.

I have the "darkest legal tint" available in the state of Indiana. Here, there is a fine for the owner of a vehicle that has tint darker than legal. There is also a fine for the applicator of that tint and it is double what the fine for having it is. I believe the figures are $250 and $500. If the owner of the vehicle fails to disclose who applied the tint, they pay both fines. In addition, you are required to get the tint stripped and present your vehicle at a location where it can be remeasured to prove that it has been returned to legal level.
California law states that it must allow more than 70% of light in. The place I went to said that they would not darker than 10% because they could lose there license. My car is registered in North Carolina but since I am Active Duty and stationed in California I have to go buy California law.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
California law states that it must allow more than 70% of light in. The place I went to said that they would not darker than 10% because they could lose there license. My car is registered in North Carolina but since I am Active Duty and stationed in California I have to go buy California law.
Is that a UCMJ rule? If the vehicle is registered in NC and you were a civilian, Article 4 of the US Constitution (referred to as the Full Faith and Credit Act) would cover it, i.e., as long as you were legal in NC, Kali would have to honor it unless NC doesn't regulate it.

From: http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/pdf/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-127.pdf

(b) Window Tinting Restrictions. – A window of a vehicle that is operated on a
highway or a public vehicular area shall comply with this subsection. The windshield of
the vehicle may be tinted only along the top of the windshield and the tinting may not
extend more than five inches below the top of the windshield or below the AS1 line of
the windshield, whichever measurement is longer. Provided, however, an untinted clear
film which does not obstruct vision but which reduces or eliminates ultraviolet radiation
from entering a vehicle may be applied to the windshield. Any other window of the
vehicle may be tinted in accordance with the following restrictions:
(1) The total light transmission of the tinted window shall be at least
thirty-five percent (35%). A vehicle window that, by use of a light meter
approved by the Commissioner, measures a total light transmission of
more than thirty-two percent (32%) is conclusively presumed to meet
this restriction.
(2) The light reflectance of the tinted window shall be twenty percent (20%)
or less.
(3) Tinted film or another material used to tint the window shall be
nonreflective and shall not be red, yellow, or amber.

There are exceptions for other vehicles and diseases of the eye.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Is that a UCMJ rule? If the vehicle is registered in NC and you were a civilian, Article 4 of the US Constitution (referred to as the Full Faith and Credit Act) would cover it, i.e., as long as you were legal in NC, Kali would have to honor it unless NC doesn't regulate it.

From: http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/pdf/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-127.pdf

(b) Window Tinting Restrictions. – A window of a vehicle that is operated on a
highway or a public vehicular area shall comply with this subsection. The windshield of
the vehicle may be tinted only along the top of the windshield and the tinting may not
extend more than five inches below the top of the windshield or below the AS1 line of
the windshield, whichever measurement is longer. Provided, however, an untinted clear
film which does not obstruct vision but which reduces or eliminates ultraviolet radiation
from entering a vehicle may be applied to the windshield. Any other window of the
vehicle may be tinted in accordance with the following restrictions:
(1) The total light transmission of the tinted window shall be at least
thirty-five percent (35%). A vehicle window that, by use of a light meter
approved by the Commissioner, measures a total light transmission of
more than thirty-two percent (32%) is conclusively presumed to meet
this restriction.
(2) The light reflectance of the tinted window shall be twenty percent (20%)
or less.
(3) Tinted film or another material used to tint the window shall be
nonreflective and shall not be red, yellow, or amber.

There are exceptions for other vehicles and diseases of the eye.
Not UCMJ but California law, which I cannot find now. I read it on the internet under tint laws before I had my windows tinted.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
None:banana:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Not UCMJ but California law, which I cannot find now. I read it on the internet under tint laws before I had my windows tinted.
Kalifornia VC26708

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions ( )3 meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

I guess that the controlling factor is where the vehicle is currently registered.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
10% :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does that apply to the rear window also? :cheers:

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Does that apply to the rear window also? :cheers:
Nope, rear can be dark as possible. However at night sometimes it is extremely hard to see out of.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts