Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the carpet in my Vette and cannot get any of the seat belt bolts to move at all. Is there a trick to taking them out?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Paul, did my carpets last year, to start with the bolts are in tight and probably rusted in as well by now. Soak around the bolts with WD40 or similar for at least a day, try to keep it off the actual belt. Make sure you have a realy tight fitting socket seated on well and if need be use a pipe over the ratchet( not realy recomended) or a breaker bar. The carpets I had did not have any holes for belt bolts, seat runners ect; good idea is to put the bolts back in before you put the carpet in, then you can feel the bolts through the carpet and cut a small X over the head to make the hole. You may also have to take out the center console. The lids for the storage compartments are also a pain and need great care. Good luck!!
Geoff

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If you strip the head because bolt is rusted in then go underneath and grind of end of bolt and then start small and drill thru bolt try to keep in center of bolt. then keep going up in drill sizes when you get close the bolt should fecth up and drill itself out.
adam

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you strip the head because bolt is rusted in then go underneath and grind of end of bolt and then start small and drill thru bolt try to keep in center of bolt. then keep going up in drill sizes when you get close the bolt should fecth up and drill itself out.
adam
I agree. But soak it in PB Blast (or similar product) and if you can fit an impact gun on it. Do it!!! The hammering action of the impact should jar it loose.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
I'm replacing the carpet in my Vette and cannot get any of the seat belt bolts to move at all. Is there a trick to taking them out?

Thanks,
Paul

If you have a torch, heat the head of the bolt until it gets cherry red. Then let it cool all by itself for an hour or so. Then take it out. The high heat will destroy the rust that's holding them in.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
I agree with Too Broke heat is the easiest way to get the bolts loose(remove carpet first cutting it out) the bolts should have lock-tight on them.Take your time heating from under the car with a friend soaking the seatbelt at the same time (not the bolt). Let it cool for 5 minutes then use a impact wrench slowly remove the bolts. But Becareful with the heat!
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts