Chevy Corvette Forum banner

horsepower limits

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RedDirtRodz 
#1 ·
I have a 1965 originally equipped with a 327 ci / 300 hp engine. It's in need of a rebuild and it's #s matching, so I'm going to pull it and replace it with a 350 crate motor and keep the #s matching engine for later. My question is if I go to something like a 383 ci / 435 hp motor, will the rest of the cars components hold up ? Did the C2's with BBs have any stronger / reinforced components ? Is there anything else I should consider ?

Thx for your input

#3 ·
Rather than going with another small block how about going with a big block like a 454"? As big blocks were an option back then a 454" will drop right in with few modifications needed. Then you can experience the awesome torque a 454" produces. I have a 454" in my '71 and it's a thrill to drive.

#4 ·
The only driveline differences were bolt-type U-joint caps on the diff yokes instead of U-bolt & nut caps on small-blocks, and the half-shafts on big-blocks were shot-peened. Clutch, trans, driveshaft, and diff internals were all the same.

The 383 is an easy swap, and it won't change the handling. A big-block WILL affect the handling, and will require new front springs and front sway bar, and adding a rear sway bar, plus big-block radiator, radiator support, shroud, fan, fan clutch, etc.

#6 ·
I'll check into the hood clearance. As far as the big block, I'm a small block fan and as JohnZ notes, there's some suspension changes required at a minimum. I'm now looking at at 410 hp Edelbrock kit which should be plenty quick. Thx to everyone for your replies.

#7 ·
I'll check into the hood clearance. As far as the big block, I'm a small block fan and as JohnZ notes, there's some suspension changes required at a minimum. I'm now looking at at 410 hp Edelbrock kit which should be plenty quick. Thx to everyone for your replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.