Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
New to the forum so forgive me if I'm slow. Here goes nothing... I picked up a 79 corvette because I've always wanted one and I was finally able to afford it. Now, it's not enough! I need to know what I can do to give this thing some nut. Automatic 3-speed, and bone stock to my knowledge. I just ordered the B&M shift kit because I've heard some good things about it. I would like to get 400 horsepower out of this 350 if you all think the car can handle it, and if so, how would you go about getting there? Be specific if you can :) thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
if you want 400hp, its not difficult but its not cheap either.. Summit Racing or Jegs have Heads/cam/manifold packages that will get you there.easily......is your motor an L82 or an L48? the L82 has a good bottom end for building power on..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just found a kit on summit for 600 bucks that will get me just over 300 HP. I think I'll go with that and see where I can go from there. Thanks for the help!
heh i am looking to do the same to my 75 targa top L48 is there a link for what u are getting as i didnt see when i looked there.
what was in the kit for 600 bucks
thanx Ian:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have a set of 4 bolt main caps i will sell cheap if anyone is interested in have your machine shop drill the holes in your two bolt block to convert...
They are from a block bored. 40 over so they should be able to be be line honed and fit in if you are mod'g your engine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
400 HP is not going to be cheap at all. I started with an older rebuilt 350 in my 1980. The rebuilt turned out to actually had a 4 bolt main block and I stayed with it. My original plan was to find a 1986 or 87 block that was machined from the factory for a mechanical fuel pump. The machine shop actually had a couple of blocks available. The 86 block is already setup for a roller cam which could save some money vs a retro-cam.
I went with a 383 eagle crank, eagle rods, SRP pistons, CompCam roller, Cloyes timing set and Brodix heads. The block was line honed, decked, etc.. There is a long list of parts required and I am already way over my original budget (way over)!

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
400 HP is not going to be cheap at all. I started with an older rebuilt 350 in my 1980. The rebuilt turned out to actually had a 4 bolt main block and I stayed with it. My original plan was to find a 1986 or 87 block that was machined from the factory for a mechanical fuel pump. The machine shop actually had a couple of blocks available. The 86 block is already setup for a roller cam which could save some money vs a retro-cam.
I went with a 383 eagle crank, eagle rods, SRP pistons, CompCam roller, Cloyes timing set and Brodix heads. The block was line honed, decked, etc.. There is a long list of parts required and I am already way over my original budget (way over)!
like I mentioned earlier, its not difficult to get to 400hp, but it aint cheap either.. and if you think you went over budget shooting for 400hp, think where I m at with 525hp! and the drivetrain mods to hold it!... LOL!....that said, the very first time you drop the hammer on it after break-in,and it comes to life, the GRIN ON YOUR FACE WILL BE PRICELESS!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
the LS motor is a great improvement over the old small block.. its light and smooth and can make good power..and great mpgs.. my C5 get over 28mpg w/LS1. it will not be a simple or easy swap..but I m sure it will be worth it in the end

1 - 13 of 13 Posts