Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I have an 84 that had both a scabbed in alarm and remote starter. Quite a hack-job. Once those were removed, the stock alarm wouldn’t deactivate with key or any other method and caused horn to go off until fuse blew. Now, when I press the horn button I can hear the relay close and then the fuse blows, killing the horn circuit, interior lights and radio - even with the horns disconnected. I did pull the 10A fuse by the horn relay to shut off the security system, but that didn’t change the outcome when I press the horn button.

I’m guessing that I should be looking downstream of the horn relay for a short since the relay closes? Or could it be an issue in the column? I replaced the horn relay and tested the socket. No issue there.

I’m certainly open to any suggestions you might have. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m guessing that I should be looking downstream of the horn relay for a short since the relay closes? Or could it be an issue in the column?
Hopefully, you've solved your problem by now. If the problem was in your steering column, your horn would be blowing all the time! There's most likely a short-to-ground in the wire that goes to the horns. Look closely at that capacitor that's attached to the drivers side horn. The insulation on that capacitor was rather skimpy on the '84.

(I have an '84)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts