Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a hood scoop on their vette? I'm about 1" to tall on my air lid. Can't cut the lid (it will run into the carb) and the filter is only 1 1/2" tall.

So I'm left with 1) adding a hood scoop or 2)get a new hood (which won't be for a very long time)

Has anyone cut a hole in their hood. I kinda hate to do so but I know how long I will have to wait for a new hood.

This is what the hood scoop will kinda look like.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
there are lots of C3 s with scoops.. figure out how much of a hole you need to clear with a little extra , find a scoop that will cover all of the hole and be tall enough . some can be bolted thru hood or glued on . I prefer the old 427 scoop to the Pontiac style.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never done anything like this before. But I like the first pic one. But I do like the mesh screen on the second one. I guess I can always buy a mesh screen to put in there.

Thanks (as always ) Fish!!:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Ecklers has it for $699.99

But then I would have to have it painted. {I'm going with a completely new color scheem once I get all of my "new" body parts (i.e. hood, spoiler front and back valance)have it painted.} Other wise it will drive me nuts with missmatched paint. If I did just go with the hood scoop I'd have it painted the same color.

Dang it!!! I guess I'll just use my old air lid and when it comes to the car shows just put this new lid back on. Just have to remember to change it back before I shut the hood LOL.
Ok I think I've made up my mind sorry to waist your time. I quess this works by talking/thinking/typing "out loud"

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got the new parts issue from Corvette America. On the cover they have a real sharp looking c3 with the stinger style hood. I'm not a real fan of after market, but it does look good. Of course it's not in the catalog. But they do have an L88 hood for $700.99.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I called K&N and they can actually "build" a custom one for me. It would be about $70.00 is the only bad thing but still cheaper than a scoop or new hood!! I only need like 1/2" so I think if I grind down the bottom of my hood a little. That will help a little too.

So I'm pretty excited about that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The $70 dollar idea is a good one, but you need to think outside the box a little more. If I were you nothing looks better than a big *** blower sticking out of the hood! I know it's a bit more than a new K&N, but just think about it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
And then there's this hood from Vanacor. One of these days I'll get around to painting it. FWIW: I can stack 2 3" air filters and still have 1-1/2 inches on top of a BB..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow that is a cool lookin hood.
Well I figured if I'm going to buy a new hood someday anyways I don't want to waste my money on a hood That I'm going to get rid of anyways.
But I do see your point!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hood scoop options 1975

hello, I acquired a 1975 Coupe halfway through resto. It's my 3rd bout #2 was 35 years ago! I have a modified sbc 350 and with the edelbrock 4 brl and manifold it sits 1"+ higher than carb only. So I'm think I want to about the same thing, with no glass or paint work to be done. The car was just painted. Did you run across anything like cut a 13" hole to accommodate the air cleaner I like and maybe a polished aluminum bolt on scoop ?

Spectre has a Polished Aluminum Scoop at Andy's Auto Sport for $149 part # 4891

oe must I just consider changing the air cleaner to make hole smaller?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts