Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the very recent past I had mentioned how Holley's Street Avenger carburetors are constantly bashed in other forums but I have never understood why. My 770 cfm Street Avenger has worked perfectly ever since I installed it three years ago. Here's what a carburetor "Geru" in another forum just said about them:

The SA carbs are horrible, cheap carbs and every one out of the box is defective in one way or another. They have terrible metering blocks and Holley forgot to assign a quality control inspector to any part of their manufacturing process. The most common issue is that the accelerator pump arms are bent at the wrong angle & geometry and they do not make proper contact with the pump cam. The throttle will rotate but the accelerator pump arm won't move so there is no initial pump shot upon initial throttle opening. Changing the discharge nozzle won't help - check, verify and correct your pump arm linkage and geometry so the carb produces an instant pump shot discharge upon the slightest movement of the throttle.

When I received my Holley 770 Street Avenger I took it completely apart and compared every one of its parts to those of my old 750 cfm #3310. Every part was identical in every way which indicated they were made in the same dies, by the same machines, and to the same specifications. The main body now has the name HOLLEY cast into it but is otherwise identical. The fuel bowls now have sight glasses but are otherwise identical. The floats are identical. The base plate now has a power valve blow-out protection circuit. The throttle arm is identical except the fast idle solenoid tab has been raised 1/2" to lessen the load on the solenoid. The metering blocks are identical, the pump arm is identical, the boosters are identical, and the choke mechanism is identical. So it sounds like some people just hate some models of Holleys.

Every Holley is thoroughly tested before it leaves the factory so I don't understand why some "Geru's" claim they're cheap junk. Perhaps they don't know as much about carburetors than they think they know?

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine had a Holley Street Avenger carb and has been great. Absolutely no problems in over 5 years.
The "Geru" in another forum seems focused on the accelerator pumps arms not being bent at the correct angles. Yes, all of my Holley's pump arms did need minor tweaking to make them exactly parallel to the pump cams but I considered that to be the result of mass production.

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like they say, "One man's junk is another man's treasure".
I know what the "Geru" is referring to and it's NOT a problem. In a perfect world the pump arm will be exactly parallel to the plastic accelerator pump cam. All of the Holleys I have owned had slightly crooked pump arms that I easily tweaked to make them parallel. This "Geru" just hates carburetors that aren't QuadraJets because he makes his living rebuilding QuadraJets. And one other thing. All of the high performance Mopars like the 426" Max Wedge, 440" magnums, and the 426" Hemi's came with those "junk" Carter AFB's and the famous dual quad 409's also came with Carter AFB's. So did the high performance Pontiacs, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles so I really doubt the Carter AFB's can be considered junk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts