Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a issue pop up in the last week.

Ended up pulling 3 of 8 Brand new sparkplugs today to see if I could tell what was going on. These only have 40 min's or so of run time
Left to Right
Cyl 1 plug, Cyl 5 plug, and then Cyl 7 plug
Took out number 7 only to find that it looked as if I just took it out of the box... no gas smell to it. I'd say I have a fueling issue. I'll test spark to be certain but pretty sure something is going on with the BRAND NEW Injectors I have. I'll update as I learn more information

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Oh yeah if it looks that clean, something isn't going on!

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Reading Spark Plugs

The two black ones show those cylinders are being grossly over fueled and the clean one shows that injector isn't firing at all. I suggest pulling the remaining 5 out and see what they look like. As your CrossFire originally had a MAP sensor what does your HSR use? If you're still using a MAP sensor I'd suspect it's hose is disconnected or it's wires are un-plugged.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Map Sensor has been swapped out twice, all the vac lines are new.

IMO its more of the injectors not working correctly. This set of injectors have only 40 min's on them, the previous set only had 14 min's on them. The vendor has been good about replacing them. This last set was flowtested prior to shipment. I need to prove, sort of speak that its the injectors first before anything else. But I do believe thats the source of the problem.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
the injectors may be fine
it may be the wires going to them that have issues

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the injectors may be fine
it may be the wires going to them that have issues
Thats something I'm considering as well. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna start troubleshooting and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Way Too Rich

I still think you have a problem with your MAP sensor because of the gross over fueling. If you have one of those hand vacuum pumps connect it to your MAP hose and pump up a full 29" of vacuum and see how your engine runs. Then let the vacuum out and see how it runs. There should be a HUGE difference. The MAP is the only thing I can think of that would cause your plugs to get that sooted. Or a bad ECM.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I found the problem.
Tested Spark...perfect
Tested fuel injectors and harness....perfect

Compression test was 0, removed the valve cover gasket and immediatly saw my problem
Helps when you lock down the poly-loc

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
yipes !

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Yikes!! Glad you found it.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I had a set of those goddamned nuts and I threw them away. I prefer the stock self-locking nuts and always have because I've never seen one loosen up in the 45 years I've been twisting wrenches. But as you're running roller fulcrum rockers I guess you have no other choice. Just glad you found the problem in your garage rather than 500 miles from home. I guess you now know you make an adjustment then LOCK IT before moving on to the next one.

·
Registered
700 Posts
glad you got it figured out Ed

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Mine is still waiting for a transmission when I get finished with this semester.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you found the problem. Mine is still waiting for a transmission when I get finished with this semester.
that sucks! You doing the tranny yourself?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I had a set of those goddamned nuts and I threw them away.
we used them for years w/o any issues in our old IMCA/NASCAR GRAND AM claimer motors and those would last 30-40 races before we pulled 'em apart.
We'd adjust the valves every 10-15 races depending how many 30 lappers and 50-100 lap races there were

Of course street use is different , you don't wanna pull things apart as often , if ever

I'm guessing it was an "oops" though , not a part failure

1 - 20 of 53 Posts