Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to learn about my Vette, I drive it for the first time today n I thought I was in Heaven!!!! I got home n parked it and lifted the hood to unplug the battery (that's how I keep it from losing its charge) and that's when I noticed some white smoke rising up from the drivers side down where the headers are at. Now I am aware that it needs an oil change and so that's where I need help, I can't find the manual so how do I do the oil change??? Is it something as simple as getting under there and loosening the oil pan letting the old oil drain out and replacing the oil filter? Also I don't know where to put the new oil in I can seem to find a valve. Any help is appreciated cuz like I said, I'm new at Corvettes and I wanna learn everything about them. Thanks, guys. -Bill-

· Registered
2,849 Posts
, I can't find the manual so how do I do the oil change??? Is it something as simple as getting under there and loosening the oil pan letting the old oil drain out and replacing the oil filter?
Yup
Just remember to reinstall the plug and tighten before adding new oil

Also I don't know where to put the new oil in
Filler hole in the rocker cover ( marked OIL )

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup
Just remember to reinstall the plug and tighten before adding new oil
Of course, always important to remember that haha!!

Filler hole in the rocker cover ( marked OIL )
See that's the thing, I think the previous owner put chrome rocker panels on and there's no label on the valve cover marked oil and I know nothing about this car so I didn't wanna assume. Am I looking at it right and the oil dipstick and the oil valve are on opposite sides of the engine??

the smoke you re seeing is probably an oil leak from a valve cover gasket
that's what I thought too, I had the same issue with my 07' Trailblazer SS

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
that s really all there is, remove the drain plug, let it drain into a container, unscrew filter, put a little clean oil on the rubber gasket of the new filter, screw it on, by hand , don t tighten with wrench....reinstall drain plug, fill with 5 qts oil..start engine, let run for couple minutes, while you check for any leaks... put car back on level ground, engine off for 10 minutes, check oil level, add if needed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.