Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went out to start my 2001 manuel transmission vette and the steering column lock is on. I pulled the key as it said and waited 10 seconds and still no luck. I tried numerous times. I think I recall a problem or recall with this. Does anyone know? My extended warranty just expired. She only has 70,000 miles, with no other problems except I need a new clutch. Any advice how to unlock it or do I have to call the dreaded tow company??????
I am grateful you are there and am looking forward to comments and your help. Thank you-YUMME1 Corpus Christi, Texas

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is an issue with all C5's. Luckily it has been recalled by GM so if you take it to your dealer it should be repaired for free. Good Luck !

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is an issue with all C5's. Luckily it has been recalled by GM so if you take it to your dealer it should be repaired for free. Good Luck !
This is very much true .Keep in mind there have been recalls on the recalls .

Good luck ,C5's are a great machine .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very much true .Keep in mind there have been recalls on the recalls .

Good luck ,C5's are a great machine .
Hey,

I wonder if you are still here. You answered a response for me back in February. The same thing is happeneing and I am curious about what you said...there are recalls on the recall. The reason I am asking is last time Chevy told me that it had already been taken care of, however it is the same problem! It happened yesterday and today. I had to get a ride and I just cannot afford a big shop repair bill..In addition they do not know what they are talking about.
Any help/direction you can give me will be appreciated...I hopr to hear from you. Thanks for your time...YUMME

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2000 vet with auto tranny Just did the column lock last Thursday. Lucky I read up about the problem. Check out Corvette Forums, or Digital Corvette, Look for the Junkman 2008
What I found first is I had a bad cell in the battary, so when I started it after work on a very hot day, all my windows rolled down with my window valet, my stereo started up and I forgot I had the AC running when I arrived. My cay started at about 8.7 volts and confused the BCM and locked the car out. I also found my car did not have the recall done on the car, which I read may have been a good thing. First thing I did was replace the battary with the correct size. Mine had the AC Delco in it, But according to the GM memo it should be the professional grade. The numbers are the same except for the word professional on it. It has the correct reserve amount for a C5, 120. If your battary has a handle on it, it is not the professional. The optima yellow top with the reserve of 120 fit the bill and was about the same price at Advance Auto with there promotion going on(online only). Next I also ordered the CLB unit from Corvette Central, good price and arrived in 2 days. With that installed and a new battary, I hope this is the last time I see this problem come up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts