Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.I inherited a 79 L82 and Im thinking I may sell it . It was my Brothers who worked at GM and was on the C3 design team that year.
. His Boss Purchased this car in79 and then sold it to my Bro in 1982. It has been in his Garage since then(30 Years) . Its All Stock, awesome condition , 38,000 original miles documented, original sales receipts , all paperwork, all matching #s. on engine and windshield, bells and whistles ( at least it appears to be on the original sales) Even a list of every time my brother washed it.! It is all original, except i was told it had new paint on the front bumper, I cant tell, but guy seemed to know Vetts. He also scared me into putting in a complete brake system ..4 calipers, pads and master cylinder + a battery, It runs well! But really has had nothing except brakes , and basic service done to it over the years. It is white with red leather, its an automatic (weird?) The tires look great , lots of tread but they are old. Do I need to replace them? Biggest problem is Someone stole glass T tops and the radio when it was at the grocery store in Malibu ..Sigh, I still have hard tops.Should I replace the radio,? Buy new Glass tops before selling? Also, I know my Brother never really used water to clean it, How the heck do I wash it? The engine looks fine but should I steam clean it ? Bottom Line, I want a Steinway Piano more than a Vette, (dont be a hater,) Im sure someone could put a million$ into this, or they could just drive it ! Im not a car person, What is something like this worth? What is the best way to sell? Thank you for all the Help and sorry about so many questions!
Here is my email [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got an offer on my l82

Hi , The owner from a Corvette Shop came by today and drove it. He said the door lock needed some adjusting , but everything else was very good. He called back and discussed an offer that was more than I expected. He also mentioned I could consign it with his shop. Id really like to find out the value! How can I find the value? I looked at the NADA book it was way high! I dont think anyone would pay that in this economy! But What makes one 79 Corvette more valuable than Another? Ive seen them from 8K- 22K .
Has anyone ever sold their Vette at a Car show? I live near Los Angeles and they seem to have alot of them? Ok Thank you again for your help! It was fun to be a passenger with someone who really knew how to drive :seeya:

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
from the description of your car, I would guess it would sell for around $10-11K where I live.. location makes a difference.. no way a 79, not a valuable collector year, will bring anything close to $22K .. just my opinion, of course, but I have owned Corvettes since 1973..good luck on the sale....its a shame you don t want to keep it, you might find that you really enjoy it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You fish for your reply~Good to have some idea what a corvette person thinks as I was pretty unsure.! The Dealer offered 12k, maybe I should just take it, but he said I could consign it for Whatever I wanted, (they do all the ads and showing. for 12%.) I know it is a Beautiful Car, but I already have 2 cars , and lets just say ..i have 2 ,as I always have one in the shop getting a dent take out. My Brother would roll in his grave if I scratched hs Vette!!! Oh. The crazy price on the 79 Vette is at Mikes, I was wrong its for sale for 25K! Wowza , Yes I realize it has a 4 speed and only 2k miles , mine has 38K miles. .It gave me a glimmer of hope that a car crazy person might like mine LOL , But back to reality I really do appreciate your input! Enjoy you ride!! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Michigan where this past July 24th, I just purchased a one owner 1979 L48 auto with 77,600 miles for $10,500. It too is white with red interior. That's for comparisons sake with your vehicle.
As far as value...the 1979 Corvette was the most sold model year in history with over 53,000 units sold - a standing record for Corvette sales. I mention this because the value is not in it's rarity. It is however considered by many, to be the perfect car to "mod" or use as a daily driver - without the guilt. The 1978 was a 25th anniversay year so there is extra value in those low milage cars...the 1980 had bumper and interior changes so there is also a desire to keep those cars original. Which leaves the 1979 or late model C3 perfect for transplanting an LS engine, installing rack & pinion steering, extreme stereo installs, body kits etc. Yours sounds like it would be a good example of a "survivor" car since it is #'s matched and everything is still original. There are a few good options that potential buyers can be looking at your car for. Good luck on the sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts