Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '05 C6 LS2 A4 with approx. 75,000 mi. 2 days ago i was passing someone and put my foot deep in the gas pedal. The car responded great as usual but right before I was going to let off of the accelerator (total time on floor approx. 4 seconds) I heard and felt a loud PPHHFFF! sound (like a carb would sound backfiring in the engine bay) and the car immediately started running horribly, like it's running on 5 cylinders. It's still running the same. Obvious finds, that may be unrelated, exhaust pipe had become seperated at one joint on one side where two peices join together. Spark plugs look ok...there is gas in the intake plenum. That's all the info I have...any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Where the exhaust is separated, is it in front of the catalytic converters? If yes, the exhaust is sucking in outside air and could cause your O2 sensors to read incorrectly. That would then cause the motor to run the wrong AF mixture on that side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have catless resonators. But the seperation was just after the resonator on the passengers side and is only about 1 foot from the O2 sensor...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Seal that leak and eliminate an easy possible problem.

Are you getting check engine light codes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry for the delay Ragtop, I took both sides of the exhaust apart to verify that the resonator didn't come apart and damage the O2 sensor. My check engine light is already on due to installing headers and I haven't tuned it yet.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'd suggest reading the SES codes. Some autoparts places will do it for free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks I'll do that and reply. I did find one plug with gasoline on it today; I apparently didn't pull that one at first. Is it possible that the coil on that plug went bad and is causing the problem??

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If the cylinder is wet with fuel, first verify the wire was tight and the plug is good. You can test the coil by swapping it to another cylinder and seeing if the problem follows the coil. I'd swap it to the other side for the test. That's the easiest way to know that some other problem with that bank of cylinders isn't causing the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.