Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I saw a thread (not sure if here or other forum) about heater cores, but in the meantime, any recommendation on where to get a reliable one for a decent price? There was some discussion about problems-possibly with imported parts.

BTW, I think it's OK to simply plug the two hoses at the firewall end so I can drive it while I obtain the new one or do I need to connect the hoses for circulation?

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I know I saw a thread (not sure if here or other forum) about heater cores, but in the meantime, any recommendation on where to get a reliable one for a decent price? There was some discussion about problems-possibly with imported parts.

BTW, I think it's OK to simply plug the two hoses at the firewall end so I can drive it while I obtain the new one or do I need to connect the hoses for circulation?

I would get a well-known brand name like 4-Seasons or such. And yes, it's okay to plug both of the hoses as they're there only to supply hot water to the heater core.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Oreileys Auto parts has them. Lifetime warrenty for under $45. its not a fun job to replace ,tho.. and toobrokes right, just bypass the core til you swap it

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, thanks. BTW, someone once suggested on a forum that you could put shut off valves on the engine side of the firewall and it would keep the car cooler in warm weather, think so? Would these valves come from an auto parts or plumbing store (since the tubes are different sizes)?

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
they were referring to the vacuum operated shut off valve ,inline in the hose on inlet side off core. bigger cams render these ineffective , so a manual gate valve [ at any hardware store] is used to shut off hot water to core in summer.. lets A/C work better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
they were referring to the vacuum operated shut off valve ,inline in the hose on inlet side off core. bigger cams render these ineffective , so a manual gate valve [ at any hardware store] is used to shut off hot water to core in summer.. lets A/C work better.
Did that, Works great, used a ball valve that I got at Lowes, cost was less than $6.

T.Huck

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these heater valves fail closed ? i.e. no vacuum closes the valve :catfight:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts