Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Headlight Problems

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  capinsam01 
#1 ·
If any of you have headlight problems feel free to e-mail me at sw82vette@yahoo.com for help. I fully understand how they work and will be glad to help you get yours working right again.

#2 ·
My problem is [ excuse the terminology] when the headlights are hooked up to the vaccum source in the engine compartment, the lights stay down, but when i unhook them at the little silver colored disk that has one in and two out, the come up. I figure that this means that the switch thats connected to the headlight switch is bad, but im not for sure. I would have emailed ya, but figured that wouldnt help the next guy that used the search engine.
Thanks in advance.
Blue

#5 ·
I read your post again and now I am getting the picture a little better. When you remove vacuum from that "little disc" that allows the spring-loaded spool inside to drop and reroute the vacuum to the front side (the open side) of the headlight pots. That's perfectly normal.

So what exactly is your headlights doing that you think is wrong?

The actuator relay valve under the nose is the valve that determines whether your headlights are lowered or raised and the headlight switch controls that actuator relay valve. When the headlight switch is turned OFF vacuum is sent to that "little disc" (lowering the headlights) and when the headlight switch is turned ON it cuts off the vacuum going to the "little disc" (raising the headlights).

#10 ·
The Actuator Relay Valve And How It Works

The "actuator relay valve" under the nose has a spring-loaded diaphragm at the top that is controlled by the little vacuum hose that attaches to it. When vacuum is applied to that diaphragm it lifts the internal spool up and connects the middle hot hose to the top hose that goes to the rear of the headlight pots (closing them). Then when vacuum is removed from that diaphragm the spring pushes the spool down and connects the middle hot hose to the bottom hose that goes to the front of the headlight pots (opening them). And it's the headlight switch that controls the vacuum going to that top diaphragm. When the headlight switch is turned ON vacuum is supplied to the diaphragm and when it's turned OFF that vacuum is cut off (and bled off inside the switch).

#7 ·
They dont come up unless i unhook it from it from the disk. I figure that its the headlight switch causing this, from the auto cad drawing if im correct, once you pull the switch it cuts the vaccum just like disconnecting the hose from the disk. Thoughts or corrections?

#9 ·
Vacuum Hose Routing And Marking Those Hoses

For those of you who have ever had vacuum hose routing problems I suggest putting a dab of paint on the ends of hoses that join together so you'll always know which hoses connect together. I just soak the end of a Q-Tip with spray paint then dab some paint on the hose ends. I also marked my headlight switch's nipples with red paint on the incoming nipple and blue paint on the outgoing nipple as well as marking the hoses that go to those nipples. Then once marked you'll always know where the hoses go.

I also put a wrap of 1" wide masking tape on the larger hoses that go to my relay valves; marked "top", "middle" and "bottom" so when I have them off for any reason I'll know right away how they go back on.

#12 ·
Keeping Your Headlights Clean

The purpose of that override valve is to open your headlights to clean them without having to deal with the heat. As the headlights of these C3's remain closed most of the time they get real dirty without your knowing about it and then they don't shine nearly as bright as they should when you really need them.

It's always best to wash your car with them open so they don't have the chance to get dirty without your knowing about them being dirty.

#19 ·
Hi,
My headlights dont come up either. The lights come on but dont open. My bigger problem is no blinkers. First I had one blinker working,so I changed several bulbs then no lights! Found a blown fuse and now all lights work but no blinkers. any advise will be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.