Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to change out the headlight bulbs?? The manual is VERY unclear. It looks like they want me to remove a couple of torx screws on teh side. Just doesnt look right. ARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH I wish I was more mechanically inclined. :food-smiley-019: :food-smiley-019::crybaby:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes you need to remove the Torx srcews BUT you cant get to all of them when the headlights are all the way up position.
Even if the hood open or closed position.

The trick is get the screws out that you can with the headlight all the way up.

Then push the Head light knob inside of thre car to the off postion DONT let the headlight door close all the way when the head light Half way down put the head light knob on parking light thats half way in or half way out .

This work opening or closing the head light doors.

This will hold the head light in that position that will let you have access the rest of the headlight cover screws.

You can do the same to remove the headlight bulb it self and to get to the wire plug for the head light also.

I would replace both headlights at the same time I found normaly if 1 went bad the other not far behind it.

I using the (Sylvania) SilverStar Sealed Beam Headlight they are brighter and not much more money some say they dont last as long as the standered light but I rather see where I going.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
What I did was take the negative lead off the battery, put the headlight switch to the on position, then touch the negative lead to the battery with light touches until I had the head light rotated to the correct position to get to the screws. If you miss the position then put the headlight switch to off and try again on the reverse cycle. It is a lot safer to work on the headlight housing and light when the battery is disconnected............:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
it reall doesn't matter
there is no power to the lights

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Baloney, all you have to do is have someone move the headlight switch while you are working on the lights or have the switch make contact because you have it in a mid position between the up and down positions.

Disconnecting the battery is the safe way to control the headlights and to assure that they can not become powered and start moving while your fingers are in there or the coverings are half removed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanna replace the regular bulbs with the extra bright new style. I have a "housing" and the bullbs are slip-ins like the new cars have.
Thank you for the replies. This is REALLY an amazing site with all you guys and gals giving information out so freely. :rockon6rk:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
1. Lift hood
2. locate and disconnect HL motor wire connection just under the side marker lights on inner nose.
3. Turn emergency knob untill the HL unit is at half way point.
4. Remove the 2 torx screws from the side of bulb cover. Then the 2 front bolts to remove cover.
5. Remove the HL retaining ring screws (not the adjuster ones!) and set the ring aside.
6. Remove bulb and disconnect the plug from rear of bulb.
Reverse the order to reinstall.

If up grading to different housing and bulbs make certain that you get the type that plug directly into the factory plug...if not you will have a wiring nightmare that will eventually work loose from the unit spinning around stop to stop. But you will still have to follow these steps to change the inner bulb.
Every time you disconnect the battery leads you are taking a risk (admittedly very small) of sending a spike that will harm the ecm...so you are better off disconnecting the wire connector instead. It also means the ecm will save it's stored learning values from past driving meaning it will not have to relearn and adjust values untill it gets back to normal...and saves your stereo and clock sets as well. So try not to disconnect the battery with-out a good reason...HL change isn't a good one.:thumbsup3:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts