Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ajusting headlights on my 98and twisted off the vertical ajusting screw on the right side, the left ajusted just fine. Is it fixable or do I have to buy a complete headlight unit.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds like you broke the infamous "goldenrod". These are prone to breakage, and it is my understanding they are not available seperately, and when you do find them they are VERY expensive. Usually one has to buy an entire headlight assembly, often used. But all is not lost. It may be possible, depending on how much is left, that you can use a device like a rotary tool or dremel, and cut a notch into the top of what is left of the rod, and mimic the factory appearance. Once that is done it can be salvaged and adjusted. The best thing is to soak these areas well in advance with something like PB Blaster, before trying to move them for adjustment. I do hope you can find a way to fix yours on the cheap, or that perhaps that you get a replacement without much fuss or expense. Let us know how it turns out.

Big T

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Big T is right. "Golden-Rod"

OP,
Did the rod snap off or did the "worm-gear" strip...??
The adjustment "goldenrod" (both adjusters, actually...) are attached to the bracket assembly the headlight housing attaches to, number 12 in the expanded view from Don, I believe.
I kind of remember hearing of one guy actually re-attaching the broken piece. I think I remember hearing he braised it back together with low heat but I would think that it all depends entirely on where it broke and how clean it broke off...
...certainly not in my skill set and I'd be one of the many looking for a used replacement if it was me.
Keep tuned/subscribe to the threads in all the Corvette forums where owners are swapping out pop-up headlights for the fixed headlights and maybe you can get a used bracket relatively cheap...

Good luck!

Great post Don! This actually helps me with another project!
Thanks!!

:abduct:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts