Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first Vette, a 2000 6 speed with 35,000 miles. I’ve only driven it a couple of times due to the weather in upstate NY, but when I drove it the other day, I noticed a squeaking noise from the engine. No big deal, I just replaced the serpentine belt and problem solved. But then I got reading on this site about the wobbly harmonic balancer, and mine wobbles, not much but it does wobble.

So I have two questions. First, how concerned should I be about getting mine replaced? Second, I can get a GM replacement balancer from gmpartsgiant.com for $69.64. Should I trust GM to have straightened out the problem, or should I go aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I think all of them wobble slightly, its when it starts separating that its a problem.. the part is cheap, but a dealer will charge $700-$800 labor.. if you have access to a lift, its not that difficult. the power steering gear has to come down to get it out.. its not really something you will like to do, lying on your back.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If yours is bad or going bad. I would consider a powerbond. I would also pin it while your in there... Get a new ARP bolt too :thumbsup3:

This is a common issue on the LSx engines with the stock balancer. I would not take it lightly. There should not be a lot of wobble if any, my LS6 has none.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tons of these cars have that and its well known. I would leave it like it is unless it falls apart or slips off the crank.

·
Registered
146 Posts
THESE CARS ARE ALSO KNOWN FOR THIS RIGHT BEFORE THEY FAIL!

I would inspect it to see which catagory this falls under.
I do agree with an inspection to see whats going on.

FWIW, these have been known to wobble and still run 100,000 miles.

These OE motors are ballanced with the flywheel so a slight wobble in the front pulley isnt a problem (unless the one time bolt is backing out or the rubber ring is falling off)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine had the wobble, so I replaced it.
I went with a BBK underdrive pulley, for no other reason than availability at the time.
I considered a Powerbond, but the place I was going to buy from didn't have the ARP bolt in stock.

I did pin my crank, but it was a bit of a pain plus there was the cost of the pin ATI pin kit. I found one used and then resold it. If you don't plan on ever going high performance, I wouldn't waste the effort of pinning the dampener.

If you are mechanically skilled and have access to good tools, you can do this yourself. Be prepared for a little cussing trying to work in the cramped area trying to get the steering rack out and then back in. A lift would be a nice advantage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a lift in my garage and I do plan on changing out the balancer. I wanted to get some input as to how concerned I should be with it. I picked the car up in January and it's been sitting in the garage waiting for the weather to change, now that it has, I would like to spend a little time in the drivers seat before I start taking it apart.

I have a 68 Chevelle with a 427 to raise some hell with, so I plan on leaving the Vette stock.

Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced mine with a fliudapner best thing i could have done it's also power bonded and self balancing
the engine runs really smooth thats my choice read about it you might go the same route

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also had a squeal and replaced the belt but then the squeal came back so then I replaced the top pulley and you guessed it the squeal came back and the balancer did wobble. Replaced the balancer along with the bottom pulley for about $800 at the dealer. Hasn't squealed since.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I also had a squeal and replaced the belt but then the squeal came back so then I replaced the top pulley and you guessed it the squeal came back and the balancer did wobble. Replaced the balancer along with the bottom pulley for about $800 at the dealer. Hasn't squealed since.
You did the right thing.

Tons of these cars have that and its well known. I would leave it like it is unless it falls apart or slips off the crank.
I'm glad you didn't follow his advice.... :smilielol5:

I do agree with an inspection to see whats going on.

FWIW, these have been known to wobble and still run 100,000 miles.
I like this one. He agrees that an inspection is needed the tells me that these will run this way for 100k miles :smilielol5:. Not the ones I've seen.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does

·
Registered
146 Posts
You did the right thing.

I'm glad you didn't follow his advice.... :smilielol5:

I like this one. He agrees that an inspection is needed the tells me that these will run this way for 100k miles :smilielol5:. Not the ones I've seen.
Yes an inspection is needed if it wobbles... if all the parts are still intact it will hold up long term. Nice try on making me look like I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. :backstabber:

What mods do you have on your fast C6 again? Prob about as many as "Mr. Pure Sex Racing" does? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :sheep:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
sounds like someone is stalking me if they know what sticker is on a few vehicles of mine and my race team members !
oh my !

I guess that someone wouldn't dare get in my face.....so they have to videotape me at a C6 premiere and claim they are the victim....lol

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/what-causes-domestic-violence/

·
Registered
908 Posts
What mods do you have on your fast C6 again? Prob about as many as "Mr. Pure Sex Racing" does? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :sheep:
What do mods have to do with a wobbling harmonic balance? Or better yet a failing one?

BTW, I'm ASE certified and worked on Corvettes for over 10 years. I have nothing to prove to you.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yes an inspection is needed if it wobbles... if all the parts are still intact it will hold up long term. Nice try on making me look like I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
The question here genius is how long will it stay intact? In my experience, it's a time bomb. Yes, a little wobble is fine but most owners do not know what a little is compared to a possible train wreck. Telling them it's fine when it may not be is not cool.

My point here is not to minimize the problem unless you actually knowing what you're talking about...
Reading a bunch of Corvette forums does not certify you as a Corvette mechanic!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The question here genius is how long will it stay intact? In my experience, it's a time bomb. Yes, a little wobble is fine but most owners do not know what a little is compared to a possible train wreck. Telling them it's fine when it may not be is not cool.

My point here is not to minimize the problem unless you actually knowing what you're talking about...
Reading a bunch of Corvette forums does not certify you as a Corvette mechanic!
Glad to hear you are a certified mechanic and know what you are talking about. :cheers:

I'm not trying to prove anything either. I have seen thousands of C5's over the last 12 years I have looked at every OE pulley when the car was running and the hood was open. It was very rare to see one that didnt wobble. So all I was trying to say was if it was intact it would last the life of the engine. :thumbsup3: If the woble was excessive or the thing was coming apart it needed to be inspected and or replaced.

FWIW, my brand new C5 engine pulley had a wobble too. I replaced it with an underdrive pulley and ran that for a while until I had a custom built blower motor with an ATI pulley installed.

Now feel free to add all the ghey smilies onto my post so you can feel better about yourself. :rockon6rk:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
notice how he sidesteps the stalking issue ....lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts