Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just picked up a 73 Vette. Noise (rhythmic clicking) during acceleration and deacceleration from the right rear makes me think I have a bad right rear shaft or u-joint. What is the best way to test this? There is no obvious play that I can see. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
23 Posts
I had a clicking noise coming from the rear end of my 81 when I bought it. A friend told me to change the rear end oil and MAKE SURE I added the correct GM additive for the clutches. I did what he said and no more clicking.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
OK, that's posi-trac clutch chatter you are talking about ..it occurs on slow speed turning, not going in a straight line accelerating /decelerating like the OP said his does , especially after its hot..it doesn t click ,it clunks .. but try it if you like .. gear oil and friction modifier are cheap, and it probably needs a change anyway

· Registered
10,507 Posts
Hi guys,

I just picked up a 73 Vette. Noise (rhythmic clicking) during acceleration and deacceleration from the right rear makes me think I have a bad right rear shaft or u-joint. What is the best way to test this? There is no obvious play that I can see. Thanks in advance.

After thinking about it for a while I think your best bet would be to set it onto safety stands, set the parking brakes HARD, then using a giant set of Channel Lock pliers twist the transmission yoke foreword and backward while observing all of the u-joints. If you have a bad one it should show up quickly..........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.