Chevy Corvette Forum banner

got pulled over need some help guys!

5K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Ghost 
#1 ·
so i got pulled over lastnight, cop at first said i was racing! then he gave me a ticket for going 50 in a 30 but didnt get it on radar?? is this fightable???

#3 ·
was he pacing you or stopped prior to pulling you over?

#4 · (Edited)
Unless the person answering your question is an attorney licensed to practice in the state where you received the ticket, anything they say could be inaccurate or not applicable to your situation. The question is whether you can afford the points on your license and the jump in cost for your insurance more than what an attorney would cost. Any ticket is "fightable." A better question would be whether you could win if you fought it. I believe that in some states 20 over is considered "driving to endanger" and costs big bucks.

#8 ·
I agree however radar is not needed for police to charge you with speeding officers are trained in pacing and estimating vehicle speeds .even in the. Radar class they have to be able to visually estimate speed before being allowed to continue with radAr training. Again all states n jurisdictions differ

#5 ·
hopefully you kept your mouth shut and didn't admit anything
if that is the case , you may have a shot at winning
how far are you willing to push ?

#7 ·
what did you say ?
were you guilty ?

#14 ·
I agree! I've fought just about every ticket I've ever received, and it was either thrown out, or the cost of the ticket was reduced.

#12 ·
I agree with Pappythinker and a few others. It's your word versus his. 20 over in Texas is "Reckless endangerment" . If you have a clean driving record, I would say go for it. If not, take the drivers ed or the deferred option. Either will eliminate the ticket from showing on your record after a probation period. JMO.

#13 ·
Driver's ed is only an option for petty speeding tickets. It won't get you out of a Reckless endangerement, reckless driving, DUI, Vehicular Manslaughter, etc....
The OP had a good case, he should hire a traffic lawyer and let him deal with it. 300 bucks and its a done deal.

#15 ·
OP Never stated how fast he was really traveling.

#16 ·
lower charge?

What used to work for me is to plead guilty at the arraignment to a lesser charge. The prosecutors like this because it is still a conviction for their almighty percentage and the court likes to not have the expense of a trial. When they ask how you plead, tell them; "Not guilty but I would plead guilty to ten over." Always a chance the cop will not show, too. If he does not, make a motion for adjournment.

#17 ·
You never said you were not guilty! So, I assume you are. Is it worth the money to pay an attoney? Only you can answer that question! 24 years as an LEO and more hours in the court room than most lawyers, I say...show up for court, ask for help, it's just traffic court. Most of the time, they will reduce the speed, give you a small fine and you are on the way. Unless you have a bad driver's record, the court will reduce the points and the fine. But only you know the true details, so keep that in mind.:thumbsup3:

#22 ·
I agree. All the old officers I work with say that when a defendant shows up with a lawyer they already lost. The money they would have spent on the fine goes to their lawyer I don't share they mentality but it's something to think about .. I see these lawyers reach pleas with the judge that the defendants could have done themselves and saved a bunch of cash

#18 ·
You never said you were not guilty! So, I assume you are. Is it worth the money to pay an attorney? Only you can answer that question! 24 years as an LEO and more hours in the court room than most lawyers, I say...show up for court, ask for help, it's just traffic court. Most of the time, they will reduce the speed, give you a small fine and you are on the way. Unless you have a bad driver's record, the court will reduce the points and the fine. But only you know the true details, so keep that in mind.:thumbsup3:

:iagree: or either way you lose .Pay a lawyer or pay the ticket .:thumbsup3:...............:patriot:

#19 ·
:iagree: or either way you lose .Pay a lawyer or pay the ticket .:thumbsup3:...............:patriot:
If you pay a lawyer and beat it,.. your record remains as is, with no affect on your insurance. Pay the courts,... and your record and insurance rates may well be affected.

#23 ·
Theres a couple of lawyers in s.d. Who will remain nameless they show up in court and after hearing a synopsis of what happened they tell us ok well change a plea to guilty if u don't oppose traffic school ...out here cops can oppose traffic school if driver was a d@&k..or theyll say if u agree to change the charge to a non-moving violation well still pay the same fine .. Here the client thinks their lawyers fighting for them and they really getting screwed I've gone up against these lawyers hundreds of times I love seeing them in court cuz I know I'm getting off easy without having to testify but I do feel bad for their clients

#29 ·
theres a couple of lawyers in s.d. Who will remain nameless they show up in court and after hearing a synopsis of what happened they tell us ok well change a plea to guilty if u don't oppose traffic school ...out here cops can oppose traffic school if driver was a d@&k..or theyll say if u agree to change the charge to a non-moving violation well still pay the same fine .. Here the client thinks their lawyers fighting for them and they really getting screwed i've gone up against these lawyers hundreds of times i love seeing them in court cuz i know i'm getting off easy without having to testify but i do feel bad for their clients
but if points are not accessed , they come out ahead
INSURANCE DOESN'T GO UP

#26 ·
Sounds like justice

Great example of a bad cop getting his..there's a number o people in this job who get way to big apower rush out of it, it's always been just a job to me, I said before I always try to have empathy with the people I stop and go outta my way to let em go wit warnings it takes a total a$$hole attitude to get me to write a ticket ..I'm glad things worked out for dude, I was just pointing out some examples of some bad lawyers I came in contact with

#27 ·
Great example of a bad cop getting his..there's a number o people in this job who get way to big apower rush out of it, it's always been just a job to me, I said before I always try to have empathy with the people I stop and go outta my way to let em go wit warnings it takes a total a$$hole attitude to get me to write a ticket ..I'm glad things worked out for dude, I was just pointing out some examples of some bad lawyers I came in contact with
There's always a few bad apples in every profession. People do need to be able to separate their bad experiences, and not lump everyone into 1 group.

A lot of people gripe about cops,.. but who do they call when trouble arises?? :thumbsup3:

#30 ·
In a way,all I'm saying is in most cases the drivers can request traffic school themselves and still keep the points off they record they would still pay the fine but wouldn't have lawyer fees to pay..with lawyers you don't have to worry bout the points but now you have their fees in addition to whatever the fine is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.