Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a volt gauge reading goofy? This how mine works, when you start the car it reads in the center and the battery light will light up and after reving the engine it goes out and reads almost fully to the right. What is the proper reading for the volt gauge to read while at idle and normal driving speeds? I feel like the needle is out of adjustment or may be a bad wire, any help or advice wuold be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
10,507 Posts
Has anyone ever had a volt gauge reading goofy? This how mine works, when you start the car it reads in the center and the battery light will light up and after reving the engine it goes out and reads almost fully to the right. What is the proper reading for the volt gauge to read while at idle and normal driving speeds? I feel like the needle is out of adjustment or may be a bad wire, any help or advice wuold be greatly appreciated.

I have always preferred amp gauges over volt gauges but both have their purposes. With the key turned on and with the engine not running a volt gauge will show around 12 volts. Then after starting the engine it'll slowly climb up to 13.8 to 14.2 volts.

It's very important to keep the alternator belt properly tensioned which means about 1/2" deflection in the middle of the belt with a 25 pound load on it. To get that much tension it's impossible to pull the alternator housing tight enough by hand so a pry bar of some sort must be used.

When the key is turned on the rear bearing of the alternator will become highly magnetic which indicates a strong field current is being produced. So by simply holding a wrench up to the rear bearing will tell you a lot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.