Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '75 is sputtering and popping. Good one day and crappy the next. :wtf: Nothing was done to the car so I can't figure out why from one day to the next the car is acting like this. :banghead:

I pulled each wire one at a time and with each pull, the idle was affected so I guess the wires and spark are okay. All vacuum lines look good. I pulled and cleaned the carburetor filter but it was okay to begin with.

This happened overnight. Same gas was in the tank so it's not an issue with possible bad gas.

Need some help. :1zhelp: Thank you, guys.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
I would check the ignition module.. They can work fine, then run like shyt and then run fine again.. I had one run great down the Interstate for hours, get off for gas, and it would barely stay running.. let it sit 15 minutes, run perfect again. then repeat.. If not that, it may be a carb float issue. What carb is on it? Q-jet?

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
if its old and I suspect it, I replace it anyway,not expensive.and they are known to fail .and often its intermittently after its hot . driving you crazy! but, you can test it ..this should help you ..http://forums.carcraft.com/70/661769/general-car-craft-discussion/gm-hei-ignition-module-testing/... I don t use one on mine anymore , I use an MSD Box for Spark control.. I would check that Q-Jet for flooding , they are prone to bowl plug leaks, cracked bowls from overtightening bolts

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Welcome to the world of Classic Corvettes!! LOL! Some of the mystery illness in these cars are baffling sometimes..Its either fuel or spark.. you just need to narrow it down, eliminate what its not. . Check Fuel Pressure under load, filter, sock in the tank for restriction..test ignition components ..Carb, needle and seat. floats .. But because you say its intermittent, runs good, then bad, etc. I m going with module.

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the world of Classic Corvettes!! LOL!
At times with this '75 I feel like it's my first tour!!!

I've had the '66 for a good while, and there really isn't anything on that dinosaur I haven't been able to handle. Maybe that's why ... one dinosaur to another ... :wheelchair:

This thing is a whole other story ... :givemebeer.sml:

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
At times with this '75 I feel like it's my first tour!!!

I've had the '66 for a good while, and there really isn't anything on that dinosaur I haven't been able to handle. Maybe that's why ... one dinosaur to another ... :wheelchair:

This thing is a whole other story ... :givemebeer.sml:
you think this is complicated , wait til your C5 doesn t start.. Mine recently did that, turn key, NOTHING! after several hours, I finally tracked it down to the Body Control Module not supplying ground to the starter relay to allow ign switch to power relay to supply power to starter.. W T F ?

· Registered
5,591 Posts
I miss points and carbs....but....I like the performance of updated tech

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.